should i just start over

Started by clusterone, July 20, 2010, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterone

I used the BRF method and got growth of mycelium pretty fast. That being said it has been three full months and they are not fully colonizing. Should I just empty and start again. Is there a faster growing method that BRF? Any help would be appreciated.

dub504

I use grains. Mainly because I like bulk substrates. Grains are faster because once you've got some good growth going you can shake the jars to spread the mycelium, then you can take the colonized grain and do a grain to grain G2G transfer and it will move really fast. I've had G2G jars colonize in under a week. You must have a pressure cooker for grains though.
You might want to look into LCs Liquid Cultures, basically germinate the spores in sterilized karo water. Suck the myc back into a syringe and into sterile grains or BRF cakes.
You could also make a slurry from a colonized BRF cake and then make more from that and so on and so on.

But I suggest that you just be patient with what you've got right now. This is a slow hobby. See it through. You'll learn the basics and that goes a long way towards future success.

dub504

Maybe cut or wash off the uncolonized parts and fruit.

dub504

On further contemplation, After three months they may be thirsty and hence not colonizing anymore. You could fill a sterile syringe with sterile water and inject the cakes with some water, that may help.

clusterone

Thanks for the help. I just cut off the non colonized parts and put in fruiting chamber. Pins almost immediately and good first flush. Thanks for all the advice.