Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Author Topic: Drying methods  (Read 6797 times)

Buck satan

Drying methods
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:28:06 AM »

I am about to get started on my first attempt, and I was wondering if anyone had ever tried a food dehydrator.
A friend of mine got me one for christmas on the theory that I would make beef jerky with it (which of course I never did) and it's just been sitting there ever since.  
It's a warm air circulation method dehydrator with adjustable heat controls, but I've heard that fast drying them like that could deplete the potency.

Thanks.

btw, check out the sweet terrarium I just got, for the low low price of two packs of cigarettes. :)

anno

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Drying methods
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 04:47:33 AM »

A food dehydrator works great. Just make sure to set the heat to lowest setting and they should be dry in less than a day without any major loss in potency.

psilly

• View Profile
Drying methods
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 04:42:18 AM »

Is there a particular type of dehydrator that you'd recommend?  ...Or that you'd recommend I stay away from?  I'm eyeing the following cheapie model, available at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...%3A90546%3A4813

psilly

• View Profile
Drying methods
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 04:45:25 AM »

"It's the fast, easy way to make delicious, healthful and natural snacks..."   :rolleyes:

psilly

• View Profile
Drying methods
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 04:21:47 AM »

Just wanted to follow up, the cheap 'SnackMaster' food dehydrator mentioned above did a superb job!  All of my edible and medicinal mushrooms were fully dried in 2.75 hours at 80 degrees F.

brianjamez

• View Profile
    • Email
Drying methods
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 09:01:19 AM »

Just buy some DampRid or something from walmart, and save $35...OR I would disect that food dehydrator and disable the heating element manualy.