Drying methods

Started by Buck satan, April 27, 2004, 03:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck satan

I am about to get started on my first attempt, and I was wondering if anyone had ever tried a food dehydrator.
A friend of mine got me one for christmas on the theory that I would make beef jerky with it (which of course I never did) and it's just been sitting there ever since.  
It's a warm air circulation method dehydrator with adjustable heat controls, but I've heard that fast drying them like that could deplete the potency.

Thanks.

btw, check out the sweet terrarium I just got, for the low low price of two packs of cigarettes. :)

anno

A food dehydrator works great. Just make sure to set the heat to lowest setting and they should be dry in less than a day without any major loss in potency.

psilly

Is there a particular type of dehydrator that you'd recommend?  ...Or that you'd recommend I stay away from?  I'm eyeing the following cheapie model, available at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...%3A90546%3A4813

psilly

"It's the fast, easy way to make delicious, healthful and natural snacks..."   :rolleyes:

psilly

Just wanted to follow up, the cheap 'SnackMaster' food dehydrator mentioned above did a superb job!  All of my edible and medicinal mushrooms were fully dried in 2.75 hours at 80 degrees F.

brianjamez

Just buy some DampRid or something from walmart, and save $35...OR I would disect that food dehydrator and disable the heating element manualy.