white button, Agaricus

Started by Vandal_xx, August 05, 2010, 06:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandal_xx

Hey guys, looking into possibly growing some Agaricus so my girl can also enjoy my newly found hobby. Plush I can only handle the cubensis once a month or so. Didn't know if I could use the pftek or what will work. Doing research no just thought some of the pros here could help.....ugh hum..DUB504! Thanks
Feel good before dying!!!!!

dub504

^_^ ^_^ ^_^
I've never grown them but BRF would probably work well for spawn. Oysters look pretty cool, since you can spawn to newspapers, coffee and other trash. Turn your garbage into food! Check out mycotopia.net there is so much great info over there and really awesome folks. Paul Stamets The Mushroom Cultivator has all those growing parameters.

Vandal_xx

Thanks bro. I'll check it out.!

crystalpoint

oysters will grow on PF Tek, agaricus needs a nutritious casing layer and a poo substrate.

Vandal_xx

Thanks crystal. Do oysters blow a spore load like cubes? Or do you have to make a clone or a LC to keep your project going?

fmrc

Notes On Growing Agaricus Bisporus

Taken from "THE  MUSHROOM  CULTURE", Journal of Mushroom Cultivation #8 Jan. 1986 published by FMRC.  Just a few notes on this that will be helpful.  Taken from said Copyrighted article.  I own the Copyright. 
Cultivating Agaricus bisporus:  Cultures held on PDA and Malt Agars - 75 F degrees - Can be held on many grains, rye being one of the best - grain is buffered with Calcium carbonate or Calcium sulfate 1 gram buffer to 200 grams dried grain - Grain chambers held at 75 F with no light - Simple peat moss casing is used to fruit, limestone flour is used to bring casing pH to 7 - Casing should be 1 inch thick and not sterilized - When casing shows signs of mycelium takeover, drop temperature to 65 - 70 F - This will induce pins (or fruiting) - Fresh Air Exchange is important - Compost is used to cultivate this mushroom made from manure and straw.  It is put through a composting so that thermophilic bacteria make it so the mycelium grows freely and competitive flora cannot.  When ammonia odor is sharp, pasteurize at 135 F for 24 hours.  75 F for spawning.  Inoculate 6 inch deep beds with grain spawn.  150 grams of spawn to 60 lbs of compost.  Beds are taken in 2 weeks, then cased.  Sunlight kills this mycelium.  That is why they are raised in caves and buildings.  slp/fmrc