Stunted Growth?

Started by The Psilocyber, July 27, 2006, 03:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Psilocyber

I birthed two JXMI B+ Cakes about a week and a half ago (I have no idea what JXMI even stands for, thats what the description said on the site i picked them up from). I pinned one in the jar before doing so. I am using the usual set up of a clear plastic storage container that is about 3' long by 2' wide, and it is a foot tall. I have one half inch of moist perlite covering the bottom of the container and i am using a small fluorescent light which i have suspended over my chamber. I put the cake that i let pin near a corner and the other about 3 inches away from it to the right. Admittably they look pretty lonely due to the fact that i only innoculated 4 jars to start with and two failed miserably.

My problem is, however, that the one cake that is fruiting (the one i pinned, the other is just now putting off pins) seems to be growing stunted mushrooms. By stunted I mean that they only grow about 2 to 2.5 inches tall before they begin to look like they are dieing (wrinkling slightly and turning darker brown, growth also halts). I am concerned about this because the pictures of this strain on the site grew to be 5 inches before the veil even broke, but my shrooms veils are breaking completely (exposing the entire gill area) almost before they are even big enough for me to notice a veil at all. Is there any obvious reason that they could be stunted? I am almost positive that they are not conaminated. I am using an alien substrate, I put 1 to 2 mist sprays into the container once daily (not directly on the cakes) and i am wafting them at least once a day as well. The substrate mix i prepared was also SLIGHTLY dry as well, I should add. Is it possible that the cakes simply are not moist enough? Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace out

anno

How did the cakes turn out?