help!

Started by jimboyia, September 14, 2010, 09:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimboyia

hello all,

I recently bought a grow kit from an outfit calling themselves "Shamanic extracts"  - the kit arrived by post, basically just a tray (lower corner broken)with what seems to be vermiculite (impregnated??) and no destructions. Despite several attempts by me to contact Shamanic extracts and get the instructions sent to me I've had no response.

How should I proceed?

Vandal_xx

First off I have read nothing but bad about grow kits. You can do it yourself, cheaply!!!!! I'm not sure whats in your grow tray so im not sure how you should continue. did the kit come with a syringe? If so save it and read the pf tek on this site or youtube "lets grow mushrooms" and awsome 4 part video series.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

jerefish

Did it come with a bag that the tray would fit in?

jimboyia

tray with vermiculite, a large plastic bag with some kind of internal "supports" the tray itself has a kind of platic "zipper" on top and there does appear to be some kind of dessicated mycelium on top of the tray.

Next move?

jimboyia

O, should mention that the tray was broken, and there seems to be mould on the mycelium (is that possible??) and the whole affair is decidedly suspect.

dub504

It doesn't sound right. You need a sterile environment/food source for the spores to germinate and turn into mycellium. Any open air is a no go. If the mycellium is dry it will be dead. The PF Tek is a great place to start and is very easy.
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek
http://forums.mycotopia.net/cakes-brf-aka-pf-tek/

jimboyia

Right.....

Have chucked the whole sorry mess onto the compost heap (wonder what will transpire...) and have checked out sporeworks for supply of spores. The rest I can get closer to home

MANY THANKS FOR THE TIMELY DISCOURAGEMENT.

Vandal_xx

Just a LITTLE bit of research and some willingness to fail will ensure your success. Don't give up man, once you figure it out you laugh at this whole thing. Good luck!
Feel good before dying!!!!!