Rotten?

Started by Xanaar, September 24, 2010, 05:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanaar

Noob question, but ive read a bunch of things as pretty much just say "its good unless its rotten"... but what does a rotten mushroom look like?
[EDIT]: Also, at what point exactly are they good to harvest and eat? Can you eat them as pins or do you have to wait til they are big and the sides have turned upward?
PS: I dont know what kind i have, a friend of mine bought the spores and doesn't remember what theyre called.

ImAFungi

Xanaar,

Before you're fruiting, the mycelium should be all white. A blue color can form from bruising it. When they start fruiting, you should def. stay away from any green mold or a slimy yellow looking mold. I would personally just post a pic on this website. I'm sure someone will be willing to help you out.
  You should def. wait till they are fully grown. When the veil breaks, you know they are done.  :ph34r:

~ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

Azurascender

Agreed on the previous post about posting the picture, haha especially now that the name of the original mushroom spore has been lost.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

substrate

A rotten mushroom will be wet and slimy, and even if you let it dry it will STINK man.  I was trying to ID some big mushrooms from the back yard and some went bad in a plastic bag.  Stank up the room, when I opened the bag it was enough to make you barf.  If they're rotten, you won't have to guess.

...and as my home ec teacher used to say "when in doubt throw it out"...