Incubator or not?

Started by clusterone, August 14, 2010, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterone

I've been reading on the web that some of the PF Tek is a little out of date. I've heard that colonization is better at 70 to 75 degrees and can be done at room temp.  Im just wondering what the thoughts on this are. My first try it took a long time for full colonization and the fruits were very small.  Im wondering if colonizing at the higher temperature could have that effect.

anno

The colonization is definitely faster at 80°F.

Vandal_xx

Dude, I live in the USA northeast and I let my jars colonize at whatever temp it is in my house in the summer months. The temp in my incubation box ranges from 88F to 65F. Also, I use 1 pint jars so mine take about 5 weeks to colonize. Not sure what size jars you are using. I think I get more fruit from my jars than 1/2 pint jars because of the extra substrate. Also, are you dunking and rolling. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Good luck man!!!(or woman)
Feel good before dying!!!!!

funghetto

Hi
the temperature for colonization is between 24-28 C (75-82 F) for most Cubensis types, now the closer u get to 80-82 F (27- 28 C) the faster the colonization will happen.
Another thing to keep in mind when doing the PF Tek is the moist/humidity level of the vermiculite and brown rice flour when making the cakes, because the less humidity u have the slower the process will be.

A good recipe for half pint jars is (enough to make 5 cakes)
480ml verm
240ml brown rice flour
240ml water

good luck!!