Alternatives to BRF?

Started by bluerunner, October 03, 2010, 06:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerunner

Hey everyone, 

I am going to be growing a new batch using the pf-tek and I have always use organic brown rice flower as the food for the myc. and I was wondering if any of you have ever experimented with other foods either mixing it to the BRF or replacing it with an alternative.
So if any of you have come up with any cool alternatives that help getting a better yield then share your info here. :D

Think for yourself, question authority.

fungiguy

if you want bettter yeilds you should change up your methods. i suggest using popcorn or wild bird seed. i case mine with 50/50 peat moss and vermiculite. the cakes are great for beginners, but casing is where it's at. you could also crumble and case your cakes for a better result.

funghetto

Hi
with regard to the alternatives to BRF cakes, you could try rye grain (which doesn't give u cakes) or straw (which also doesn't give u cakes) however those two other methods are a bit more complicated then the PF Tek/BRF u are using.

For better yields, while fruiting the cakes u should aim at 80 -90% humidity and good air circulation, but also with the rye grain or straw methods as there is more substrate yields tend to be higher as well.

hope this helps

good luck!!

bluerunner

Thanks,

What about if I start with jars and make a few cakes, with BRF + verm.  then after they are fully colonized crumble them and case them in a verm. and cow dung mix?

-also the only reason I do cakes is because it is easy and I still have a lot of excess supplies for it, plus its so cool to see their growth through the glass jar!

Peace and Happy growing!

Think for yourself, question authority.

fungiguy

the crumbled cakes will work. it will also yield more. i started the same way....first brf cakes, then crumbled cakes and casing, and eventually moved to grains. i found a nice popcorn tek on shroomery.org. very easy and good yields. -_-

dub504

You can always grind up WBS and use that as a substitute in your cakes. I have been playing around with some cakes with a mix of ground up WBS, brown rice, and a TBL spoon of Horse poo. They seem to be colonizing really swiftly. Texas Orange Caps.
Ratio is 1:1:2 water:nutes:verm
BTW H poo is going to be nice and fluffy which works better if you are spawning crumbled cakes to it.  ^_^