More experiment stuffs

Started by Mushroomman, October 04, 2010, 07:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mushroomman

So guys, what kind of mushrooms will grow will on both Brf/ vermiculite cakes, and rye seed in a tupperware container?
thanks

dub504

You might want to check out some of Paul Stamets books. The Mushroom Cultivator has many pages of growth parameters for all kinds of species.

Mushroomman

Will oyster mushrooms fruit with the method using rye seed in a jar, later transferred to tupperware containers?

Mushroomman

Quote from: Mushroomman on October 05, 2010, 05:44:12 PM
Will oyster mushrooms fruit with the method using rye seed in a jar, later transferred to tupperware containers?

or pretty much, will oyster mushrooms grow vertically? or do they need to be off to the side of something.

dub504

I think you'd be better off spawning the colonized grains to pasteurized straw or newspaper. I hear newspaper improves the taste over straw. You can fruit them however you wish.
Here is a pretty cool oyster grow...
http://forums.mycotopia.net/oyster-mushrooms/19704-cultivating-oyster-mushrooms-newspaper.html
Oyster Growing...
http://forums.mycotopia.net/oyster-mushrooms/
Deeper into edibles...
http://forums.mycotopia.net/edible-medicinal-mushrooms/
Have fun!

Mushroomman

Well for a science project, i am trying to figure out which method works better, Growing mushrooms on brf/vermiculite cakes or in a using rye seed that is transferred to a tupperware container.

So i am looking for a mushroom (preferably edible) that can grow on both Brf/Vermiculite CAKES and rye seed in a tupperware container that will be able to colonize and fruit on each in under a month.
thanks guys

dub504

Oyster mushroom mycelium is pretty aggressive. So it should colonize pretty quick under optimal conditions. You would probably have to case the rye grains or mix in sterile field capacity vermiculite (rez effect) as the grains don't really hold enough moisture to support fruit body development.

Mushroomman

Quote from: dub504 on October 05, 2010, 06:58:41 PM
Oyster mushroom mycelium is pretty aggressive. So it should colonize pretty quick under optimal conditions. You would probably have to case the rye grains or mix in sterile field capacity vermiculite (rez effect) as the grains don't really hold enough moisture to support fruit body development.

thanks alot man. ive been looking for this information for weeks.
I joined this website 2 weeks ago and you guys have been nothing but help. :ph34r:
thanks guys

Mushroomman

Also, what is on of the fastest growing oyster mushrooms that i can easily get spores for?
thanks again.

substrate

I second Dub's advise.  Oysters should grow on pf cakes and on grains no problem, I've done it both ways.  I transferred the grains to sawdust in a mycobag.  You can order an LC syringe from sporeworks.com, but I have had equal success just cloning blue oysters from the grocery store.

The blender-tek cloning was WAY more fun than using the mail order LC, just my opinion.