Drying the Kidds?

Started by FunguyB, October 21, 2010, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunguyB

Ok so I have been taking different groups of the fun kids out of the FC and been drying on foil or a paper bag with a fan on it for 12 to 24 hrs. I know taht they are mostly water so when you dry you will be losing weight, but feel likeI am losing my ass of with the weight I pull. Other day I pulled a set and they weighed 43 grams out he FC. After they were dry and not moist any long it was about 6 grams or so. I wanted to know if I need to do something else or is that just how it is? I wanted to have fatt kidds and have at birth but they dry to little ethiopian children that Sally struthers has been starving. Any one with advice and better insite please let me know.

Thank you all in the FUN Family.

Vandal_xx

ya man... They shrink up big time and nothing you can do about it. once they are real dry from your fan(I use the same thing) put them in a nice ziplock bag and add some desicant packets(the things that come in electronics and beef jerkey) This will get the rest of the water out. If you dont do that they will start to rot on you. You can also reuse them. bake them in the oven at like 300 for an hour or so and they wil be all dried out and ready to help you finish drying. Good luck!
Feel good before dying!!!!!

dub504

Learn how to do bulk substrates if you want bigguns. The deeper the substrate the bigger the boomers.

FunguyB

check them out, I have dried the first grab for 24hrs now and they are actually drying a little different like huge whole kidds. The second ones are the ones I just grabbed out a hour and half ago? just doing a small fan and have a air purifer running on low near by too.

Vandal,

The oven at 300 degrees for a hour seems much, u do that?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/sburben/2010-10-21200215.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/sburben/2010-10-20192255.jpg

Thanks to everyone, have a few things in my head on somethings to do after the dunk and all is done.

darksyde

FunguyB,
Losing 85-95% is the norm when drying so dont be alarmed, just grow more :)

As for the oven at 300 for an hour, Im sure he was referencing the packs of desiccant and not the mushies.
They'd be completely charred and have no potency.

I use a dehydrator (not turned on) with store bought damp-rid sprinkled on rags or paper towel on the bottom rack.
You can make your own drying racks from large sealable containers also if you dont have a dehydrator handy.

The shrooms looked nice though.. You'll soon be enjoying the fruits of your labor  :ph34r:

FunguyB

OK so the ones I had out drying and thought were fully dry i guess were not. When I woke up I check the zip bag I put them in and they were a lil moist, so I have set them back out. Will just wait till they are crusty type dry (not about to turn to dust though). A couple look a little off white now just tint of yellow you think this is still alright and they are good? I did get some of that jerky packet thing and have them in my bag with the others that are dry and seem doing fine. I was wondering if you guys just throw them in a bag with that packet thing and that is it. I have read about people putting them in the refrig or freezer while keeping them around in like a tupperware or something. PLease let me know, dont want to have a disappointing halloween, if some are bad or not potent anymore.    ^_^

darksyde

FunguyB,
I would say your batch is still fine to eat, but you want the mushrooms to be cracker dry before you put them in storage. That moisture inside your zip bag is a potential breeding ground for contams or rot.

I always keep mine in quart sized mason jars. Ive heard of people placing desiccant under a piece of paper towel inside the jar or container, storing them in the fridge or freezer, but I just enjoyed some last night that have been in a jar in my cupboard for almost a year now and they were more than fine. :mellow:  As long as you have them dried properly before you seal them, the desiccant and fridge/freezer are'nt necessary IMO

FunguyB

Aight I really appreciate it I will make sure they are cracker dry  :ph34r: I cant wait think I am going to try my first batch ever out tom night, so we will see. Thanks about the idea of the desc under a towel and in a mason jar.

Vandal_xx

I was refering to the packs as far as in the over at 300F. DONT DO THAT TO YOUR SHROOMS... sorry if there was any confusion. Like I said, put a few packets of that oven fresh desicant in a jar or a nice ziplock and you should be good to store em 4 a while.... I get mine to almost cracker dry.. or as dry as the fan can get em and the packets bring em the rest of the way in a day of so. GOOD LUCK

FunguyB

where can you buy the fresh desicant from or have you been getting from food and pill bottles to use? Let me know would like to get more but dont want to buy stuff not need just to get a few. hahaha. Ya my really big and tall ones in the pics do not get cracker dry they are close, but have a bend and dry but weird feeling. Let me know Vandal,

Thanks again.

Vandal_xx

I've been lucky and found some big packets at work. I tried googleing it at you might need to buy a few of them at a time but they are cheep. Haven't found a store with em though....no homedepot or walmart type of places. Those packets will finish of the drying for you. Depending on the ambiant humidity in the room where you are drying, thtey may not get cracker dry with a fan. But orger some online. Try a camera store like ritz.com or someshit. Goodluck

dub504

A craft store will have silica gel for flower drying. Same thing, it's just not in a packet. You could make some makeshift packets with a paper towel and staples/ rubber bands etc...