NEED HELP FRUITING STALL

Started by dan, November 01, 2010, 11:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

hI

I had one cake in a dozen that grew myc fast, so I put it in my FC before the rest of the gang. I usually case them but I stuck this little guy alone. It started growing fine, nice long thick stems, then it stopped and got really skinny at the end, my caps never finished and never opened. The myc is all over the stems and is taking over the caps as well. My humidity is fine and they get plenty FAE????????  what the hell,   I put a few more guys in with him but they havn't started rolling yet.   

darksyde

Hi Dan,

If the humidity and FAE are both good, the only other explanation I would think it could be is genetics..

Is this the first youve tried to fruit this strain?

darksyde

Dan, is there any way you could post some pics of your grow?

After some research on the web, Ive come across another possibility.

There is a fungus called Verticillium, that looks just like Mycelium.
A fluffy white parasite that grows up the stems, stunting growth and causing mutations.
From what Ive read its not toxic and your mushies could still be consumed after drying, but if that is whats going on, every cake you put in there will get contaminated leading to little or no yields.
Tell tale signs would be hollow, wrinkled, or wilting stems, and brown lesions or stripes on the caps.

Ive had issues with myc growing up my stems before, but it was definitley due to high RH and not enough FAE.
Ive also had a strain that had really small caps, which I concluded was genetic from a less than reputable spore vendor.
Its tough to speculate without facts and pics..
Whats your set up- FC, FAE?

dan

I didnt know your RH could be high.  My Hydrometer is pinned at 100%.  I can try opening my box more, i check them in the AM and then again late night.  I will try to get pics out, the stems and caps have shriveled to nothing. Should I pull my other buddies out of there?       

darksyde

Its really starting to sound like vert.. pulling the others out is probably moot at this point.. If its vert in your fc, they are already contaminated..
I know its not what you want to hear, but unless you have another FC backup for the next generation, I would suggest scrapping them out now and starting over.. Everything will need to be steralized again.. Bleach the FC, soak the perlite in a bleach/water solution, lysol the heck out of your grow room..

I found posts on Mycotopia of experienced growers having the same problems.. Sometimes confidence leads to carelessness when it comes to sterility. I had to throw out 20 jars a few months back cuz I thought I was ok to cut a few corners.. Lesson learned  :angry: