FAE

Started by fungiguy, October 09, 2010, 06:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

is the fresh air exchange necessary before the mushrooms appear? i am talking about the time you put them in the fruiting chamber but before you see the actual mushies. just trying to avoid contams.

dub504

FAE is a good thing and also a pinning trigger. If your culture is healthy you shouldn't have any problems. Bad, stale air will cause things like cobweb mold.

ImAFungi

fungiguy,
Yea FAE is pretty necessary. What kind of fruiting chamber do you have?

~ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

fungiguy

i have a nic sized rubbermaid container. pearlite on the bottom, pretty standard. i just didn't know if the fae was needed in the early stages of growth.

ImAFungi

Once you put your little buddies into the FC you need FAE. What I would do is put some holes right above your lvl of perlite. If you are worried about keeping your humidity high enjoy, you can always manually fan then to get that FAE.

Vandal_xx

I have to fan. Can never keep the humidity up in my FC with holes. I have little squares of ducttape all over mine. Live and learn. But yeah..... FEA and then a little mist to keep those sukers happy! I do mine 2-3 times a day.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

fungiguy

i do not have a hygrometer to gauge the effects of fae's. how many times a day should i be doing this?? the mycellium grew up a few of my shrooms. i know that means not enough fae. can someone recommend a good hygrometer? had one before, but it crapped out.

ImAFungi

You can always get a cheap one at a pet store. They are used for reptiles, so it should be in that section. Though I would recommend getting a digital one. I got mine from amazon and it works great! Here's the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Digital-Hygrometer-Probe/dp/B00101KWYW

You might be able to shop around a bit and get a better price but that's the exact one I have. GL man!

fungiguy

do you leave the hygrometer in the fc?? the reason i ask is that i left mine in the fc and the thing filled with water. i was not sure if you put it in to get a reading, than take it out.

ImAFungi

It depends on which one you got. If you have the cheap, non digital hydrometer then yes you stick the thing to the inside of the FC. If you have a digital hydrometer, then it should have a little sensor attached to some wire so you can place the sensor around the cakes and place the actual hydrometer outside of the FC so you can easily read it.

~ImAFungi

dub504

FYI, the wire on a cheap temp/hydrometer just senses temp. The hydrometer part is in the device. Digital hydrometers made for reptile terrariums work well. I use a Fluker's brand, it's really solid. No problems, I've had it for a couple of years.

FunguyB

I got one at walmart the other night for $8 or 9 bones and its a rectangle which shows the temp and the humidity on the bottom of it. Dont go looking in the fish and reptile section they are not there, they are by the house and out side big temp gauges you will see them. Just let you know so you not like me looking around like wtf where are these damn things. haha

Ok so I have a question about the FAE, while at walmart had a hairbrain idea. I am going to switch to an aquarium and have got pleaky glass piece to fit in the top of it so it will seal air tight to the most part of worrying about contamination. So I have used a bag at first and they have the filter patches on them, since not able to drill holes in glass, or rather not do that. :wacko: So to the point I was in the fish section and saw all the filters for the fish tanks and the refill filters. They have ones for the bigger aquarium filter. It is a blue filter type material and on other side is a plastic type basket, so was thinking if that would be able to use? I was just going to cut out the plexiglass to the size of the basket on the filter and just use that as a FAE for my chamber. I am wondering what people think if this will work or not, I think it would but not to sure cause not same material as the pach on bags.

darksyde

FunguyB,
Im trying to picture this.. You are going to cover a fishtank with a plexi lid and cut out a hole to install a filter at the top of the tank?
I cant see this working for a couple reasons if thats the case.
Having a large hole at the top of your terrarium, even if there is a filter there, is going to allow your humidity to escape.
The other problem is that the cakes give off CO2 which is heavier than the surrounding air, so it will just sit at the bottom of the tank and suffocate the little guys.
If you are using an aquarium, fanning will be required to get the CO2 out of there.
What are you using for a terrarium now?

FunguyB

I am doing a myco bag right now. I was just thinking of something because Petco selling a dollar a gallon but going to use a 10 gal aquarium and now guess back to the drawing board. Thank you for all the information and had no clue abou the CO2 given off by cakes and all complete newb just have some odd thoughts. Let me know what you think I can do, I was really thinking about doing them out of kowanite type in the aquarium kind of like a big glass bag. let me know thanks alot feel little defeated but i will have to figure something out hahahaha.

darksyde

Ive got a party to head to tonight, but I will post some pics and walk you through a couple ideas tomorrow if you want.. I have 3 terrariums, 1 is a modified MS tek with an ultrasonic humidifier, and then have 2 115qt tubs with perlite and use the tropicaire system for those..
Ive never worked with myco bags or the pf tek.. Ive only used cased grains, but we can get ya going in the right direction  :mellow:

FunguyB

Hell ya I would really appreciate that man, I am new and have just some ideas and been reading the threads and other websites, but no one shows alot of different situations or set ups. I am just wondering what is up and appreciate it, think we going to try or first batch tonight see how they are and how potent. My bag is done yielding so I am about to dunk the log I have for 8hours or less from what I have been told by others, and after that was just going to put perlite down in the aquarium and then something to put the log on on top the perlite and see if I can get a flush going. I figured since they grow in the bag with such a small ass filter on them enclosed really I thought the aquarium would work ith the bag type set up and the plexiglass on top with a filter. I do now know that I can not do with cakes which I appreciate that because like I said didnot know if they are enclosed the CO2 given off will kill them, let alone them giving off that had no clue. I appreciate it darksyde if all goes well I will join the darksyde for sure.  :wacko:

If we need I can give you another email for me than just the boards if needed.

THanks

fungiguy

dub, are you able to leave it in the fc? how much $ for a good one? i am gonna do a search on the fluker's brand. thanks for the input.

dub504

You can leave it in the fc permanently... They cost about $20...