Monotub Confusion

Started by ImAFungi, November 04, 2010, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

I have 7 quart jars nearing fully colonization and I just realized I really don't have any room in my FC. So I was thinking about making up a monotub due to Dubs suggestion. I have a 14.5 gallon tub, poly-fill, and working on getting a plexiglass like sheet to install into the lid.

I've been readying some tek's from here and shroomery and I think I have the basics down. First of all, I'm alittle uncertain how I should arrange the holes and how wide they should be. I've read about using 4-2in holes on each long side of the tub and Ive also heard about putting holes every 2ins. Secondly, I want to make sure to use the right ratios of spawn:bulk. As I said, I will have 7 quarts of spawn at my disposal. What would be the right amount for my 14.5 gal tub? As far my bulk goes, I decided to use a coir based substrate. Does anyone have a good coir based bulk substrate tek? Help please :huh:

~ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

dub504

Here is a simple no filter style tub that is easy and performs great. I've done it, works great and you don't have to mess with polyfill. Just make sure your holes are a 1/2" to 1" above the substrate level. You don't want the fan blowing directly at the tub as it may dry out the sub. You just want it to circulate the air in the room gently. Your spawn ratio will be fine @ 1:4 / spawn:bulk
http://forums.mycotopia.net/holding-tank/49902-sandmans-no-filter-monotub-tek.html

ImAFungi

Nice, def. answer my questions. Figured you would be the one to help me out dub. Got any projects going on yourself?

dub504

Experimented with some invitro jars, but that's about it right now...

ImAFungi

Good shit, I got my supplies for that monotub and going to set that up tom. About to cover up the showing mycileum on my casing and put it in the FC. Im also thinking bout knocking up some quarts of wbs. So I'm trying to keep busy. Started posting a bit on shroomery, SaturnClaus. Hope life keeps good man :ph34r:

Azurascender

Would it be necessary to case mono tubs?
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

Davie K

casing your mono tub is very helpfull in producing larger yeilds... tho it isnt mandatory.

darksyde

If you're using an isolate strain its not necessary.  If your spawn was from multi-spore, casing will help give you a more uniform pinset.