Fruiting Questions (with pics)

Started by Wednesdays, November 17, 2010, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wednesdays

Hey guys,

So far this forum has been the answer to all of my problems as a first time grower and I'm happy to report that I am well into the fruiting process of my first grow.

However, I've encountered somewhat of an issue - the fruiting seems to be a rather slow process. It's been 8 days in the fruiting chamber and I've had but 1 pin, which popped up on the 6th day, and seems to be growing well. Is this pace reasonable, or could I be encountering problems? It seems odd that on two cakes I have only 1 tiny mushroom, 8 days into fruiting. Thank you very much once again for the insight guys.

Here are the pics

anti-babylon

have you shocked with cool temperature the cake  before putting them to fruiting?

i have read that process it helps to fruiting the cakes, and also i cannot see some tin foil base layer that needs to leave your cake away from the wet substrate but dont now if that could be the  problem

dub504

Wednesdays

Alright, I just added the tinfoil layer to separate the cakes from the perlite. I've been fanning like crazy since I read about how important FAE is. I take the lid off and waft air at the chamber at least 4 times a day.

Is it too late to shock the cakes with cool temperatures? If not, how would I go about doing that?

Also, is there going to come a point where the cakes are no longer even able to pin, or they'll just...go bad?

Thanks so much again for the help! My one pin is growing at an alarming rate, but remains the only one. :(

darksyde

Cold shocking isnt necessary.. these are tropical climate shrooms and although its been debated on both sides, there is no hard evidence that "cold" shocking is any better than just simply dunkin & rollin..
You would want to wait until you pick your shroom(s) off after the flush before dunking.
There will come a time when all the nutrients are exhausted from your cake.. Could be 2-3 flushes with those cakes.. You will know cuz they just wont grow anymore or start any new pins.

anti-babylon

ah OK i was suggesting it just because i always read about the cold shocking on all site...
but when you talk about dunk and roll you also pass the cake under cold water? just to clean them ?

I've seen a guy on a video that after that treatment leaves the cake underwater with a dish and a pan for one night and then the day after rolls it  and start to growth

darksyde

Not to confuse anyone.. Yes you want to use cold water. Hot water, if too hot could kill the myc and leaves you vulnerable to contams..
Its been posted that subjecting the cakes to icy water "cold shocking" somehow improves fruiting times and growth which hasnt been proven to be true.
The reason for keeping your cakes at lower temps while dunking is just to stave off contams. Its the resaturation of water that helps with fruiting.

Wednesdays

Well I've submerged the one cake without pins in a jar of water that's currently in my fridge. I'll keep it there for about 12 hours before putting it back into the fruiting chamber and cross my fingers I guess.

God damn, I actually am really enjoying the whole growing process, even with the set backs. It reminds me of high school chem labs, except in this experiment I get to eat the results hahahaha. So rewarding!

darksyde

I would make sure you have a lid or plastic wrap over your jar if its in the fridge.. Lots of contams in there  :huh:

Wednesdays

Oh yeah it's air tight and I sterilized the jar first too so I hope I'll be okay. Fingers crossed cold shocking helps.

dimplco

Thank you for posting this image, to much figure out this step.

modern bedroom furniture | modern beds

anti-babylon

i suppose that you need (i speak for my experience) more humidity in the case for pinning...
just pour some water inside the case so the humidity would be at 100% and then you can see start pinning cake like crazy !!!

after 3-6 days of making grow pin , pour out the water from the case and control well the humidity it must be at 90-95 % your shroom gonna grow well and also remember to fan when growing they need oxygen otherwise they dont grow up but down.

hope its help

Vandal_xx

how cold is your chamber? if it is less than about 65, it will take a bit longer, IMO
Feel good before dying!!!!!