Food dehydrator vs Desiccant?

Started by contra12, November 16, 2010, 10:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contra12

Out of curiosity, why is it that I so seldom hear about using a food dehydrator on your mushies?  Are they ineffective, or is the use of fan-dry + desiccant just more cost effective?

darksyde

Running the dehydrator if you already own one would be cheaper than using desiccant, but heating your mushies over 105 degrees will start to break down the active ingredients and leave them less, or completely impotent depending on how hot they get.

I always dry mine in my dehydrator since I have one, but I use "Damp-Rid" (Lowe's) on the bottom rack on paper towel and never turn it on.. Mine has an 85-95 degree setting but I dont even take the chance.. Drying at room temps ensures max potency.

dub504

I like dehydrators, although if you get big boomers they will be hard to fit in most dehydrators. Those Excalibur ones are pretty nice. I think they can be a little pricey though. I usually make a little packet of desiccant and toss in with the fruits in a vacuum seal bag for longer storage. That may help keep things nice and dry after they are dehydrated.