anti babylon...set...raedy..go!! (with pics)

Started by anti-babylon, December 02, 2010, 06:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anti-babylon

OK hi everybody....im nearly ready to begin my terrarium. today im gonna buy some perlite to put inside the terrarium and some pit moss to try to case ONE of my brf cake.

Any advice is welcome here you can see the picture of my terrarium
by the way it has 2 big hole as you can see because at the beginning it was thought like a glove box just to use it for inoculate the jars.

anti-babylon

the brf cake that i wanna try to case like dark side suggest me time ago , it seems to have stop the colonization i dont know why...

all the other jars are going well

now im posting the pic of the one that have stopped ( i think)

anti-babylon

ANY SUGGESTION??

can i case the brf cake using like top layer some sterilized soil?

ImAFungi

Ive used peatmoss/verm and straight verm.
If you're a beginner you can always use
sterilized straight verm. Shroomery has some
nice straight verm teks.
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

anti-babylon

ok so i have to avoid soil because it has nutrient elements inside it self?

ImAFungi

Not sure, I've never used soil before. But I do
recall reading that its possible. Use the search function
here and fungifun. You'll find something. Trust me the
search function is your best friend when starting out. :ph34r:

ImAFungi

by here and fungifun, I meant here and shroomery.
See darksyde already found some ^_^.

anti-babylon

thanks very helpfull , ! i will buy iy from ebay i think...cant found it here.

anyway 4 of my 6 jars are completly colonized (i think) also on the top is growing some extra micelyum on the layer of dty vermiculite.

on shroomery they suggest to keep the cake inside the jars until you dont see pinning head..
for now i just took em off from the radiotor.
how should i move?

darksyde

anti-babylon,

Quotethanks very helpfull , ! i will buy iy from ebay i think...cant found it here.

What are you going to buy from ebay?  Soil?  You dont have any garden shops or plant nurseries nearby?

Quoteanyway 4 of my 6 jars are completly colonized (i think) also on the top is growing some extra micelyum on the layer of dty vermiculite.

You will know they are ready if they are all white.. If not, take another pic.  I can tell you if they are fully colonized if I can see them.

Quoteon shroomery they suggest to keep the cake inside the jars until you dont see pinning head..

After the cakes are fully colonized, its good to let them go another week before you dunk&roll or crumble&case.

Quotefor now i just took em off from the radiotor.
how should i move?

You need to have your verm and your soil to go any further if you want to case them.  When you have everything I can send you a Tek-link to walk you through the steps..   

anti-babylon

hi darkside,

no i was refering to the peat moss that i cant find in the garden center.
i think i will case with soil, absume to the shroomery guide you can but you have to correct the ph of the soil. with some limestone

any way i will post photo of the cakes that i don't understand if are fully colonized ; they also stop colonizing so i dont know what to do

here are the pics

anti-babylon

in the first pic i can clearly see that is has stopped to grow the micelium and there is a fuzzy area that is uncovered.

in the second pic is just a little spot that it seems to stop but is so small i don't think it will give me problem

the third photo = the normal brf cakes completely colonized.

darksyde

anti-babylon,

Those all look fine and are ready to go.  Those spots where there is minimal growth are due to either lack of moisture, or lack of gas exchange.  No signs of contams so lets get them crumbled and cased..

As for the limestone, crushed oyster shell is another option.  You just want whichever you use to be a fine powder and mixed in well with the soil, and it doesnt take much.

I purchased a bag of oyster shell when I started, trying to do everything "by the book" but I never use it anymore and cant tell a difference with or without it.

My instincts want me to tell you not to bother with spending the money, and that you will do just fine with the soil/verm on its own.  Since Ive never worked with soil, and Im not an expert on ph and its effects on shrooms I guess I will leave it up to you as its your money and your project, but I really think you would still have success without the powders.

Looks like you have enough to fit nicely into a 4" x 8" tin loaf pan.
In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of soil with 1 cup of verm.  Add a couple tblsp's of water and mix well so its all moist.
Place the mix into a baking pan, cover with foil and put in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour to pasteurize.

After it has cooled to room temps, evenly sprinkle a 1/4" layer of casing on the bottom of your tin pan, crumble your colonized sub into the pan trying to form an even or flat layer on top, then sprinkle on another 1/4" layer of casing.
Give it a good mist with a spray bottle, cover with foil, and put it back into your incubation chamber for 2 days before you check on it.

After 2 days take the foil off and snap a pic to show me then we can go from there..

anti-babylon

thank man for advice
but wait :

i think im gonna case only one or two brf cake...the one that have really stop colonizing (see upper photo) and the one with the leak of moist .

Do you think that the aluminium tray that i have shooted is going ok for two of those cake?

the other i just want to dunk and roll so i can confront the two method of fruiting, and also becouse i want to have some shrooms to test...i dont want to fail casing!  :ph34r:

darksyde

That aluminum tray would be fine.. I would do 3 jars in the casing and try 2 with the dunk&roll.. You want to have a deeper substrate when casing. Deeper = larger shrooms under ideal conditions.
It would be a good idea to get some more going too.. Try to stagger your grows so you have different projects at different stages at any given time.  This way you're not starting over from scratch and waiting on the entire process from the beginning if things dont work out how you plan..

anti-babylon

I tried to fill up the tray with two glass of water and it was nearly full so i will go for crumble two jar into it.

For the matter of have another process going on , i want to try to clone one of the fungy that will come up ( if will come up) from the cake or the case.

I've seen a video where a guy take a cut of  a central part of a fresh body fungy and then put it in a petrey dish just to save the strain.
it will work if i try the same thing but put the cut into a RICE JAR?

much tanks for helping

darksyde

Your best bet would be to take your best looking shroom from your flush and use this cloning tek to make an LC (Liquid Culture)
After the LC is finished colonizing, you can make more LC's from the master and use those to noc up more jars.. Give this a read:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5874305

anti-babylon

wow thats look really simple and effective !

thanks !

the next upgrade it will be with 4 brf cakes and one casing with 2 brf cakes and soil
hope that will work fine...

anti-babylon

hey guys!
i start to see some pin heads!!
:ph34r:

do i have to dunk and roll aniway??