Twice i have failed now, Substrate advice needed please.

Started by -CAP KING-, December 24, 2010, 08:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-CAP KING-

Hi guys,

So it has been two main attempts now using about 22 jars, innoculating with syringed spores from the net. I used the same ingredients both times; vermiculite, brown rice flour & water, at different ratios for different tests. I tried incubating a batch in a draw using a heat mat, but i think i almost, or did, kill quite a few because the temperature went up to 35*C.
I got growth from most of the jars but none more than half the jar.

Please give me advice on perhaps an alternative substrate mix? maybe more nutritous for the myc. And also advice on temperature for incubation.

Much appreciated,
Peace&Caps
nature's little gems

darksyde

Im seeing and hearing this alot lately.. My 1st bit of advice would be to never use that heating pad for more than a sore back!

If you dont have the money or time to invest in building a good incubation chamber, then just go buy a $5 styrofoam cooler and keep your jars in there.. It will take a little longer at room temps, but they will colonize just fine. You want the temps between 70F and 80F to give you the best chance for success.

As for an alternate sub, there are alot of ways to go. What you can get your hands on is another question.
Horse or donkey poo would be great, but isnt always easy to come by. Try some WBS (wild bird seed) or other grains such as rye or wheat berries, oat groats, millet, brown rice etc..  All of these as subs will give you much higher yields than BRF under ideal conditions

moorhS

on your first atempts I would try to experiement bud... stick to the tek EXACLY.... if your jars get over 100+f they will die, but about 85f is the perfect temp while there sleeping.... only check on them every 3or4 days or so.... good luck and just follow the tek super easy... make sure when you innoculate you are shaking up the spores in the syringe to.... other than that you should be golden....

HomeShroomStudent

I'm on my 1st attempt and jars started to colonizes just fine some a bit faster than others but i'm using 3 different strains figured that was the reason for the dif in delay in some jars, I got on this morning and was about to post a quick question but was reading this post and think it may have answered my question  but i have to ask anyway "should our jars be in a Dark place void of any light until they are fully colonized" ?   

HomeShroomStudent

Very well then 1 week into it maybe all i've done is delay things a bit , if i'm lucky thank you both for the info !

darksyde

Here is my take on the issue..

Its been professed over and over to keep them in complete darkness, and not to check on em all the time.
But the fact is, when growing outdoors, they are subjected to light for long hours every day, and somehow they still manage to grow  :huh:

Im not a professional mycologist and havent done any research to prove what works best, but I believe myc will colonize much faster in the dark.  Just like I believe my shrooms seem to grow more at night.  In any case, Ive never had an attempt fail from too much darkness during incubation.  So if we know that works great, then why do we need to look any further?

Just my  .02

moorhS

the light is used as one of the triggers for the pinning process, when they are introduced to light in jars they may want to start to pin.... in this since it may slow down the mycelium growth just because it is a little confused... my 2 cents

HomeShroomStudent

No ones touched on your ingredient ratio, which may very well be your problem. So this formula is proven to get the job done correctly. 2 cup's of verm 1cup of brown rice flower 1 cup of water. making sure to add water to verm 1st then add flower. Sounds like the mycelium may have not had enough moisture in the jars or to much, make sure u keep the lids of the jars covered with foil so no water drips in or evaporises .
If i were doing it i would tape the holes then cover as well the substrate isnt the issue its been proven to be just fine if not perfect. but if you're experimenting then you can expect to continue to have issues . I think i have read or seen the info in a DVD where they used 1 cup of verm 1 cup of coffee grounds 1 cup of brown rice flower and 3/4 cup of water. but nonetheless good luck.

Vandal_xx

From what I have read. The mycelium grows in the dark because in the wild it is growing under leaves or other stuff. When growth hits the edge of the leaves or whatever in nature the mycelium gets light, cooler temps. and FAE. All the things that we try to give it to pin. When you look at the way they grow in nature, it's exacly what we are trying to emulate at home. GL
Feel good before dying!!!!!

-CAP KING-

Cheers guys. HomeShroomStudent, just tried your mixture and i got a real nice consistency out of it, so thanks. Boiling the first batch up as i type, third times a charm!

Peace & Love.
nature's little gems