Straw basket troubles, diagnosis?

Started by Azurascender, January 08, 2011, 05:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azurascender

Alright, I have been trying to get some light shed on this particular problem for a little while now and no one seems to have an answer. Straw basket is forming primordial blob like growths, but no pins, they just keep expanding. Temp is at 75-77 consistently, humidity is at 95% consistently, FAE is very regular 2-3X an hour and still refuse to pin. I have seen this type of growth on straw before, and most claim it is bad genetics and this will most likely refuse to pin or create fruit bodies, but at the moment I refuse to readily believe that nonsense.
Links to pictures on Shroomery...
Tell me SOMEONE has a diagnosis...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13743098/page/1
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

k12357

I myself have given up on straw.  ALL of my experiences have ended with the result of those blobs and no mushrooms, I've went as far as to just wait and see what happens and they just get trich. I never could figure out what i was doing wrong, so now I just use coir.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

Azurascender

I was worried it was bad genetics, but did your blobs look like pinheads at first and just keep growing? That's all they seem to want to do... Amen to coir, I'll make sure not to put all of my eggs in to one basket next time, or spawn...
Stick with mono tubs I will young padawan...
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

k12357

yeah they looked like nice fat pins at first some grew to the size the large jaw breakers.  I have no explination to it being bad genetics or what.  I was using the same spawn for everything i was doing, at the time i was experimenting with a few different teks and it was only the straw that did it.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

substrate

Sorry, nothing i can do will let me see your pics.  When I did staw baskets I did one with oysters, one with Ecuador.  The oysters colonized slower, and trich took over - tossed that one.  Remember, the straw is pasturized, not sterilized and there will always be trich inside of cell membranes.  As the myc breaks down those cells, the trich is released.

The Eqs were more aggressive, colonized pretty quick, but it still seemed like forever to get any real mushrooms out ot it.  Some of the biggest individual fruits I've ever harvested came from that basket, but in reality, the total weight was no more than a half dozen really prolific PF cakes. 

So for all the straw shredding, Pasturizing, grain prep and colonizing, layering, and waiting - a fun excersise, but I wouldn't consider it successful from the stand point of yield...

Vandal_xx

Hey man, you are way ahead of me tek wise, but didn't know if maybe you were to try a little cooler temp for shits. Like around 68 or 70. My cakes seem to do fine in those temps. Good yeilds too. Good luck!
Feel good before dying!!!!!