fc question???

Started by steelhead, January 09, 2011, 08:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead

Just new to the mushroom game and had a question about my fc. I am trying to be stealthy about my fruiting and am trying to conceal the chambers in a small closet. The question I have is have, how much room to the top of the fc is required? I understand that some strains will grow larger that others but in general how much "headroom" is needed? Can the tops of the shrooms touch the top of the fc? The fc dimensions are 23x17x12 (50 liters). If I use the suggested amount of perlite (3-5) inches I will only have approx 6 inches to the top of my fc is that too short??? can I use less perlite and just try to maintain propper rh in the Chamber? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanx

dub504

I would just experiment with it to dial it in. Get a quality hydrometer made for reptile cages. The size of the fruit body will vary depending on technique i.e. substrate depth/casing, PF cakes etc. as well as strain. You could try adding a humidifier like the Tropic Aire. They work well.

steelhead

Thanks for the advice. I am not too worried about the the rh in the fc because they are relatively small chambers and i'm hoping that it won't be too hard to maintain proper humidty!! I'm planing to use mostly brf cakes and possibly case a few cakes as well. My main concern is that with the cakes in the fc I only have 6 inches from the top of the cake to the fc lid. Maybe it's wishfull thinking that my fruits will outgrow my chamber:)!! Thanks again  -_- -_-   

dub504

You'll probably be able to squeak by. I just mentioned the humidifier so you could get away with less or no Perlite.

steelhead

Got ya! I never thought of that. Was maybe thinking of using a bubble wand with hydroton expanded clay in water  and a small layer of perlite on top of that. That should give me about 6 inches from the top of the cake to the top of the chamber. Just got my syringes can't wait to start. Thanx for the reply!!!! -_-

moorhS

If it is 6" from the top of the cake you should be fine... if it is 6" without cake there may be a few that hit, but not a big deal long as they dont get to wet from the condinsation on the fc.... anyways good luck

steelhead

Thanks for all the help! Inoculation night tonight -_- wish me luck :wacko:

Vandal_xx

You should be fine. You may have to pick a few early or something, but then you will know for the next batch.
Feel good before dying!!!!!