Casing Question

Started by moorhS, January 29, 2011, 06:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moorhS

I have 2 GT casings out of corn in FC right now, took a sample of the soil (it's been in fc for about a week) the soil is around 6.5 which I know is about 1.0 to much, ( I used to much Limestone I believe) wondering if there is anyways to lower the ph after it is already made up, kinda afraid these batches might be scrapped because of the PH...... anyways any input is appreciated thanks..... knowledge is power : )

dub504

Worst case scenario, you can scrape off the casing and redoux... It's still early. I'd wait it out a little.

moorhS

ya I will let it sit a few more days.... I was thinking about scraping it off, just didn't know if it would work or not.... thanks dub

steelhead

Hey! I'm new to this forum but have used the info held within it for a while and was just wondering what is the most accurate way to measure casing ph? I know that the cheap soil analogue meters are exactly that cheap and I don't think I would trust their readings . Just wondering what you guys prefer??

moorhS

I use the rapitest ph soil tester       it just has 10 little pills with it, mix it with soil and water and gives you your ph, I have never tried any other ones    GL

steelhead

yeah I have seen those testers always wondered!! what is the ideal ph for casings?? Just about to case some pf jars and was curious??? :wacko:

moorhS

the Ideal ph is between 5 and 6.... I am now going to test mine before I case to be sure, glad I have ALOT more jars done... Been almost a year since had my own mushies and only a week or less to go :) ya shrooms!

steelhead

do you test every time you mix your casing or do you just trust your ratios?? Just wondering how important ph is and why it should be in the 5-6 range, is it similar to plant / nutrient uptake or is it something else??  :wacko:

moorhS

I normally don't check it I just go with my usual ratio, but conditions have changed I'm living in new place that the water is really bleache' smelling, and not just that but I increased the lime flour which I never should of done.... I am going to scrape the tops and re-case tomorrow since there is a bunch I have to do tomorrow anyway...

steelhead

Good luck!! Sucks when your water supply is wonky!! Gonna case some jars this weekend might try to check the ph of the casing just to test mixture ratio!!

moorhS

I started thinking about my casing process a little more, I am using lime flour that I had bought last year, and I think it might be the wrong type, or something, I tried a new mix wich called for 10% Lime and so that is way more than I used to add, so if it was the wrong type of lime ( I did get this at the feed store and believe it is for horses) but my new casing I just did I used my old recipe and scrapped off those older ones, there was NO mycelium growing up at all through the casing so must of been problem... oh and the PH is actually sepposed to be around 7 I found out.... GL all