Pressure Cooker vs Boiled Pot (few other starter questions)

Started by Envy422, February 26, 2011, 06:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envy422

I apologize I'm new to the site and to the hobby in general. I'm fairly positive this has been debated on many occasions and there is probably a lot of earlier threads in regards to my questions however I only have internet access on a small and slow phone and after loading about 2 pages I have to restart it (also does not allow me to use the full potential of the site like search features and so on so pleeeaaase understand ). lol

Just a few basic questions so I can get started...

1. For the PT-Tek method I realize a pressure cooker is NOT required however I'm sure there are SOME benifits to using one. Is it worth the extra effort/cash to track one down?

2. If I do decide to go the route of the pressure cooker... or even with a standard boil pot what sizes are recommended? Can you get away with smaller ones if you're willing to put forth the time or will the jars done first become contaminated while waiitng for them all to sanitize?

3. How long can you set a sanitized jar aside before inoculation without risk of ruining the mixture?

4. Are lab bought spore syringes ok to use with this method?

5. How long can a spore syringe be stored before going bad?

I had a lot more that I wanted to clarify but drawing blanks... Thanks for any and all help allthough I'm sure my questions are nooby and have been discussed many times.

Thanks

boatman

I too am new . I used the boiling pot method using a decent sized pot that easily handled 12 jars . I "steamed the jars for 3 hours slowly . Then let them cool overnight . Once cool I injected with lab bought solution . My understanding is the spore solution will last several months plus if kept cool and dark.

I recommend reading , printing and saving the P-Tek manual . You can reference this tried and true anytime . It works if you follow the manual .

good Luck , Boatman

gmailuser

1.Yes it is worth extra effort/cash. A trip to wal mart and 40 bucks will save you a lot of time in the long run.
2.You dont have to worry about that, just dont actually open the jar up, and keep them in a relatively clean place.
3.see number 2.
4.i dont know what lab bought spore syringes means but my guess would be...Yes
5.if stored in a cool dark place, years and  years.....

good luck!