Unknown factor

Started by wyldechild19, March 27, 2011, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyldechild19

I am a rookie but am on my third straight attempt at cultivation and for the third time ive had the exact same results=no mycelium formation.

I am using the syringe method w/ BRF vermiculite and distilled water. pressure cooking my jars, letting them cool then innoculating...about 1cc per jar.
Incubating in sterile, dark, warm (83-86degree) bins.

this is the third time in a row that i have taken every precaution i can think of, mixing the substrate to the propper proportions, and following every step ive learned via vids from this site. And each time after 2 1/2 weeks i have 0 mycelium formation. I find it odd that i also have 0 contamination formation. The only thing that i could possibly see as the problem is that (possibly) my syringes are not enough full of spores(but i would think that out of 8 jars, 1 would form mycelium). Maybe the syringes don't even really have spores in them, i can see tiny black dots floating around in the fluid but maybe its a scam?
Please help me! and if anyone has any sugestions as to where to buy reliable spores please e-mail me. cjsheehan19@yahoo.com

Vandal_xx

My only other thought is that maybe you injected the too soon after cooking. I usully let mine cool for 6+ hours to makesure I'm not roasting my spores. You coud also try spores101.com. Went there once, got a print and made my own syringe, but had good luck.Good luck bro. Maybe cool your temps a little to the mid 70s
Feel good before dying!!!!!

wyldechild19

The first time i attempted, i do believe i did not wait long enough(3hrs) and blamed the bad results on that. the past 2 times i have let the jars sit in the cooker over night and innoculated in the morning so i've ruled that out. I will reduce temp to mid 70's and see what happens.

If any other possible faults come up please let me know.

Vandal_xx

Did you shake up the syringes? didyou use the 2 part ver 1part brf 1part water rescipe? At leaast you have no contams. Try spores 101. Onlyhad to order once because I justmake my own prints now, good luck
Feel good before dying!!!!!

wyldechild19

i did shake the syringes and that is the exact ratio i used. i will reduce temps on my next attempt and keep my fingers crossed.
thanks

wyldechild19

Ok, i had 1 syringe left from my last order. using all of the same techniques for prep/sterilization/inoculation. I decreased my temps to low 70s. it has been a week and 4 days since i put them in the incubator. Although I will wait until slightly over the 2 week period-I checked the jars this morning and once again=0 mycelium and 0 contamination. temps have been steady in the low 70s. i don't get it, and am almost ready to scrap the entire idea.

my last fleeting hope is that there simply was not enough spores or "real spores" in the syringe. I will order new ones from the site suggested above and give it another try.

dub504

Ralphsters is a good vendor too.

wyldechild19

new thought/possible theory on lack of mycelium.= I am using the only organic BRF i can find in town, Vermiculite from Lowe's, and Distilled water from the grocery store. Could the BRF or Vermiculite possibly have an ingredient in it that is killing the spores?-this could explain why i also have a total lack of contamination.

Thoughts please.......

PCCP

Out of all the factors i believe its a thin spore solution.

On a similar thread my over heated spores i think were thin.

After 3 full weeks i my incubator I have 1 of 24 inoc sites germinated. I just can't believe all other 23 were killed in the heat but they could of been.

You could increase your spore shot per jar from 1cc to 2cc and reduce your jars from 8 to 4 to increase your chance of germination if its cause by lack of spores.

I'm going to make a separate liquid culture LC with my last 2cc of spores to have another go. This will avoid the brf until i know its growing.

:mellow: