Average time for colonization

Started by helo2752, April 17, 2011, 09:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helo2752

hello, I was just wondering what the average wait time for the B+ strain was to colonize a 1 pint jar is. not getting impatient or anything, just for curiosity sake. Also, what can be expected from a cambodian strain in the same aspect? I've read the cambodian strains are quite aggressive colonizers; I'm thinking about using 1/2 pint jars for this particular strain and am going to try my hand at casing as well.   

Any suggestions?

Thanks

helo2752 out.

helo2752

Sorry; left out key details. I'm utilizing the PF TEK method with brf and verm. I have my incubation temps at a consistant 81-83 C with the two-tote and submersable aquarium heater method. 

PCCP

You should expect full colonization in about 14-21 days. You have a better idea once germination is reached.

I'd drop your temp too a little.

You're glass jar retain some heat and once the mycelium begins to grow it gives off heat too. This can be as much as 4 degrees.

So at 83f you might well be going up to 87f. 86f is optimal growth temp and growth slows considerably after that.

Clip it back a little 82f max if your confident, 80f if your experiencing fluctuation. 

:ph34r:

helo2752

Okay, I adjusted my temps down to 81 F max. (got C and F confused on the last post...... back to back chemistry and biology classes have baked my brain) I'm currently sterilizing some jars for innoculation upon the arrival of my Cambodian strain  :wacko:. thanks for the reply man

helo2752 out...

helo2752

GOT SOME MYCELIUM TODAY!!!!!!! sure it's only the size of a dime, but it's progress!  :mellow:

PCCP

Well done.
Now let it do it's thing. Check on its progress every 4 days or so. -_-

Keep an eye on those temps and when you do check in on those lovelies keep an eagle eye for contams  :wacko:. Anything not white is probably dodgy and at the upper end of the temp scale could easily run riot over the myc.

There's an argument for keeping temps down in the mid 70s where the contams don't thrive so much, as your myc develops and grows it will become safer as it moves toward 100% colonization. You can successfully keep temp low or it can be warmed up gradually until upper limit is reached at 50-75% colonization.

It may take a tad longer but will reduce contamination ratios a lot.

:ph34r:

Vandal_xx

Also, the less you check on them and keep them in the dark the faster they will grow. I know it's tempting to check them all the time, but even if one gets a contam, It will not transfer to your other jars as long as you dont open it. Good luck
Feel good before dying!!!!!

helo2752

I just noc'ed up four pint jars of cambodian yesterday. I'm thinking about making some liquid cultures. do you reccommend honey or karo for a first attempt?  thinking about using this tek http://www.shroomery.org/67/Poor-Mans-Mycelium-Syringe-Tek . I have my b+ in pint jars and the cambos in 1/2 pint; the race is on. should be interesting to see which jars get fully colonized.

helo2752