Liquid Culture growth

Started by PCCP, May 12, 2011, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCCP

I'm growing 3 liquid cultures.

Extra Light Malt and Dextros
6 tsp sugars in 750ml solution (4% = 30g = 720ml)
2g sugar per 1 point mark on brewing hydrometer in a 750ml bottle
4% solution = 15 points SG:1.015

3 Jars half full of medium + glass shards.
Steam boiled for 30 mins
2 jars inoculated with 1cc of spores each
1 jar inoculated with fluid injected then withdrawn from full colonized PF cake

2 small piece of broken glass were added to the jar before sterilization. Agitating daily to cut up the mycellium which can form into an unsuckable clump in the jar

These are my questions:

The medium is a light brown. Will the growth still be white?
As the myc grows does it naturally fall to the bottom of the jar in between agitation or should it be more floaty?

Thanks

:mellow:

PCCP

2 jars inoculated with 1cc of spores each. One looks cloudy with stringy white bits that float. The other has 50% frog spawn like floating in beautiful clumps in clear malt fluid.
1 jar inoculated with fluid injected then withdrawn from full colonized PF cake also gone cloudy with bits.

I'm sure the cloudy ones are contams but the clear one with frog like spawn is awsome.

Will growth continue much more?
This is day 10 of the LC tek and my temps are 76-80f.

Any info wold be great.

:ph34r:

PCCP

Cheers dub,

I figured it was an account issue why I couldn't view pics but if you go through google images you can see them.  :ph34r:

2 are cloudy now and looks like they have been taken over since I can't see any frog spawn like clumps.
The last looks great. With 50%+ clumps by volume in suspension. The malt-dextros is crystal clear yellow. It looks beautiful.

I think this will become the mother although it's mixed spore rather than clone or isolate.
I'll try to get a pic up.

Cheers for the info.

:ph34r:

PCCP

My multispore inoculate LC jar is wicked.

Its 13 days and fully thick with myc in clear malt dextros medium. Incubator temps have been a good 76f

The other 2, started well but I think they were over run. Cloudy and sediment difficult to see what is going on.

I'm going to take this 'mother' and make a second LC for more frequent use from it.

I'm going to use 1% malt 3% dextros this time to make clearity and observation easier.

I'll then refrigerate it for eternity.  :wacko:

Vandal_xx

I gotta start doing that, I'm sick of making prints, syringes. nice work.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

PCCP

PCCP

Just transferred 10ml of multispore 'mother' LC multispore solution split into 2 user LC jars.

The transfer went beautifully the 2 x daily agitation with glass shards worked a treat and the myc didn't block the syringe at all.

This should mean I only ever have to go back into my 'mother' if both my user LC's contaminate.

I've refrigerated the mother to keep her good. She should last 6-12 months.

Hope fully one of them should be contam free at least and be ready to inoc my second batch of BRF cakes.

I used the standard 4% in solution but less malt in the mix. 1% malt 3% dextros this time to make clarity and observation a little easier.

For any one interested in critical measuring not wanting to use scales you can you a brewing hydrometer. Only a couple of quid (UK)
Specific Gravityon or SG on a brewing hydrometer of a 4% sugar solution is 1.015. Plain water should read 1.000 so adjustments must be made for water inaccuracy.
This is what I've worked out as I don't have scales and it's worked great.

With the amount of myc in each of the new medium and according to my projected growth rate based on the mother LC. I think they'll be ready to use in 6 days.

Awwwwsome. :wacko:

^_^