Lids Are Wet ?!?

Started by TommyTutone, December 18, 2006, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyTutone

What am I doing wrong? I keep getting wet lids when I remove the foil (after letting them cool for about 6 hours). The outside of the foil is dry. The underside of the foil as well as the top (and after removing the lid entirely to examine) and bottom of the lid are also wet. The top vermiculite layer seems to be dry. I tried another batch with less water in the pressure cooker to see if there was water coming in from under the foil, but I got the same results. I am using the Simple Minds Tek - is this because of too much water in the substrate?

anno

It is completely normal for the inside of the lid and the lid underneath the foil to be moist, it's due to condensation.

TommyTutone

So I didn't contaminate the jars and they are good to use? Thanks for your reply.

anno

Well, if you lifted the lid, then the jar likely got contaminated. So, you can't use the one jar where you removed the lid.

TommyTutone

I figured that one would be toast - I needed to check if the others were the same - so actually I ended up chucking about 8 jars in frustration before I posted. Luckily I didn't innoculate them before I chucked them. I just thought I did something wrong so I went back to the drawing board. I currently have 48 jars, with pretty white stuff growing on about 20 or so right now. Do you have any advice for growing 20 - 50 jars at a crack? I figured if I do this I might as well do it right - you know - no sense in letting space in my incubator go unused. This is my first run so I wanted to get the hang of the "Simple Minds" before casing. I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days of pretty white jars. Thanks for your help.