Upgrade options casings and other bulk materials

Started by Nightster, July 14, 2011, 08:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightster

Hey there everyone I'm needing direction I have a mycodome right now and have had great results. However there seems to be a bigger hunger for beautiful fruits where I live than I thought. So this is where I'm needing help I know casings are the way yo go when wanting a bulk set up. What would you all say are the best ingredients for a casing? Should I jus get a mycobag? I'm thinking about continuing with the golden teachers and penis envy and would like to get another strain I'n there prolly oysters. Would these strains be ok I'n the same fruiting chamber? How big of a fruiting chamber should I use? If you could point me I'n the right direction I'd highly appreciate it thanks a lot. 

olzo

Jesuz what a waste of energy and money!!! May I ask how much this Mycodome was?

Ok well... For incubation you can very well just use a styrofoam box like this:

In a normal room, this will be more than enough for incubation / colonization. I bought one on ebay for like 5 bucks or so. Temp is around 23°, and rising once colonization commences, since this produces heat itself.

For the purpose of fruiting, a large plastic box like this will do:

Drill holes into it to allow airing. Put tape on it if you don't want to air the cakes. Easy as that.
Buy a hygrometer to control humidity and a thermometer to control temperature. If you feel temperature is not high enough (although in the fruiting phase only 20-22° is needed), buy a heat mat for terrariums to increase temperature.

I did buy a mist maker, a heat mat and a climatic control. But that's just because I want to be able to ensure 100 % perfect and automated environment to maximse yield.
If you feel you don't get enough shrooms our of the box... buy another one and repeat...

Nightster

Thanks a lot man I agree the mycodome was a Waste I paid 120 buckeroos for it o well live and learn it was an impulse buy. This method u showed me was that for brf cakes or what kind? Will the same thing work for a casing? I havnt had much success with casings using rye should I stick to the brf cakes? What strain would u use? 

olzo

What shrooms do you grow? :D

Casing works with the method too but if you do casing, a plastic bag as a small "terrarium" for high humidity works as well. The Method is BRF cakes usually, yes. You place the cakes into the fruiting chamber.

What was not working with the casing? Use brown rice flour!

Nightster

I've been working with psy cub's 10/4 on the plastic bag I currently have one rye casing using coir/verm mix. There's no visible signs of contamination ima try the plastic bag method I don't think the humidity is where it should be. BRF cakes got it they've never let me down yet I'll stick to em.  What about light? Should I get a light? I've got a closet at my disposal and I'm still not set up :(. What strains do u recommend that do well with the BRF cakes?

steve80

PEACEMAN123

I USE AN AQUARIUM AIR PUMP WITHIT A LITTLE AIR FILTER IN THE HOSE DRILL LITTLEHOLE SPRAY LET SIT THEN RUN PUMP PERIOTICLY