mold in terrarium

Started by wyldechild19, October 12, 2011, 08:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyldechild19

I'm still fairly inexperienced and am now facing a new problem that i did not plan on seeing. I have followed sanitary precautions in preparing my terrarium and now am having problems with mold growing on the perlite. In my last attempt the mold grew from the perlite on to my cakes and i had to through many of them away before they fruited. Now I am seeing moldy perlite again, i have been trying to kill the mold by carefully pouring peroxide over the area but it seems to be doing no good. Any suggestions???...........

olzo

Don't use perlite.

You can keep humidity high by spraying or for convenience use a climatic terrarium control with a mist maker.

PEACEMAN123

I PUT A TINI AMOUNT OF BLEACH IN THE PERLITE/WATER MIXTURE AND I PUT ATINY AMOUNT OF BLCH IN MY SPRAY BTL THAT I SPRY THE SIDES OF THE TERAIUM WITH WORK GREAT

treasurecoast

Howdy, bleach will evaporate and can cause rosecomb. It's a mutation in the fruit that's ugly but still edible. It looks like the cap of the mushroom flips up, turns inside out. A better solution is to wash the Perlite with soapy water, rinse, drain... Then, hydrate the Perlite with salty water. Table salt works fine. Also, don't set the cakes directly on the Perlite. Use foil or a jar lid etc.. Good luck!