Casing

Started by JitanForcier, February 07, 2007, 06:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JitanForcier

Hello,

Well I'm new to the board and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can to grow my own B+ cubies at home! I was wondering if I could mix the cakes with fresh substrate once the cakes are ready to fruit. Could I crush the cake, add a layer of fresh sterelized substrate on top of it, and then place it in a larger jar or pot?

Thanks for your help!

anno

You would be inoculating more substrate with the colonized cakes.
In order for this to function, you would have to inoculate and also afterwards let colonize the fresh substrate under sterile conditions. Otherwise you will contaminate everything.

JitanForcier

So could I just keep shaking the jars everyday? So the substrate would not become solid as a cake. I could then throw it in a container for fruiting.

anno

The problem are the  sterile condition, not whether the substrate will bet firm or stays loose....
Your shaking won't accomplish anything.

JitanForcier

I've just read what I was looking for, I was actually looking for a different substrate...
Using rye seed will help me building flat cakes.
Thanks

stinkbuttdog

Quote from: JitanForcier on February 08, 2007, 11:22:28 AM
So could I just keep shaking the jars everyday? So the substrate would not become solid as a cake. I could then throw it in a container for fruiting.

just a note on the shaking, I've read in numerous posts and guides all around the net that shaking too much WILL stall growth of mycelial tissues. They say once at 75% colonization. I've never heard of shaking cakes though, only grains.