Drying/Storage Help Needed!!

Started by funwithmushrooms, November 22, 2011, 07:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funwithmushrooms

*I realise that this looks like a fair bit of reading but i could really do with the help.

So it took me three attempts to actually grow the little suckers but once they appeared boy was i glad.

I had a quick look at drying techniques used by many and decided to go for a simple fan blowing air onto mushrooms. I had them in a dark place, which isn't cold but isn't hot (say 16-18C, i do live in the UK ;) ) with the fan blowing air onto them for about 7 days until they were very dry. I then chopped them up, grinded them up and placed them into capsules. My friends and I tested these (4g dried each - B+) and they were great, exactly what i was expecting. I had tried truffles previously and was a very similiar effect.

Anyway, my next batch was ready (Mexican) and i went through the same drying technique but on this occasion the potency was severely lacking. I felt something but nowhere near the same as with the B+ (Same amount of 4g dried). I thought that something was maybe wrong with something i was doing but on checking internet/forums etc i couldn't find anything obvious. My 2nd flush of B+ was also tried using the same technique again but again the potency seems to have gone. I have a 2nd flush of Mexican just starting so i would really like some advice or any indication of what could be happening.

*Please not that once in the capsules the mushrooms were taken the same day. If not going straight into the capsules then i had the completely dry shrooms in a zip lock bag with the air removed (as much as possible).

I don't know if i should test the fresh shrooms (i don't have much but a couple of big ones) to see if when they are fresh the potency is still there? I must be doing something wrong that the potency is going and i really would like to find out.

Thanks for any help given :)

treasurecoast

Firstly, you'll want to dry them as quickly as possible. 7 days is too long. Cracker dry is what you want. One day in front of the fan on a screen, then into a bag with desiccant works well. I use a dehydrator with an adjustable temp. 29 C is about as high as I go.

For storage, I vacuum seal them with a desiccant packet and put them in the freezer. They will last a long time.

Grinding them up will cause the psilocybin to oxidize faster. There is more surface area for the molecule to be exposed to air, so I would wait until you are going to use them before grinding them up.

I don't know how often you are eating them but you will get a tolerance. You'll want to wait at least a week between dosing. I think you get psychologically use to the experience in a way if you take them often at the same dosage too.

Just know that fresh dosage is one tenth of dried so 40 gr fresh would be equal to 4 gr dry.

If you really want to have fun next time, grind them up and steep them in hot water for 15 min, add some fresh lime juice (the acids break the psilocybin down to psilocin, which is what happens in your stomach when you eat them) flavor with your favorite tea. I like fruit tea. Drink and blast off.

treasurecoast

Oh yeah, strain out the mushy bits from the tea, no need to drink (gag) those!