Greenish mold growing within 4 days completely surrounding the jar

Started by engadget, December 30, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engadget

This is after 4 days and has completely surrounded my jar.  I'd like to at the very least save the jar.  I have separated this and covered it in tin foil and put it inside a bag.  Is it dangerous?  First timer.  Thanks

Nezidig

Unfortunately the jar is contaminated and ruined, you need to clean it out and restart. Most likely the mold started due to lack of sterile equipment or you did not sterilize the jars fully before you inoculated.

engadget

Quote from: Nezidig on December 30, 2011, 05:43:32 PM
Unfortunately the jar is contaminated and ruined, you need to clean it out and restart. Most likely the mold started due to lack of sterile equipment or you did not sterilize the jars fully before you inoculated.

Yeah I figured it was.  I read somewhere you can't really clean the jars once they get contaminated so not to take any chances I bagged it up and tossed it.  Does that look like Trich?  It was completely across the entire jar from top to bottom and all across the sides

Nezidig

I'm not sure if it was Trich or not, the substrate has to be tossed and the jar cleaned anyways. You say it completely covered it, than most likely the contamination was after you had set them aside to colonize.

Tell me a little bit about your sterilization techniques and where/how you are leaving them to colonize.

engadget

I ordered the jars online since it was my first time.  I keep them inside a tupperware container and I check on them about 3 times a day.  I'm wondering if I should not even check them for a whole month to decrease chances of airborne contamination.  I just want to make sure the temperature is all right.  I've been reading more and I read you're supposed to let it sit at 81 degrees or so for another week after its fully colonized.  I was then going to dunk the cakes for 12 hours in cool water before putting them back in the terrarium to grow.  A question I had is while the growing phase is starting what temperature and humidity level is best?

Nezidig

Ordering the jars online is fine; but they should have been 1/2 oz wide-mouth jars, doesn't take as long to colonize nor are the chances for contamination the same.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYD0F?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=fungifun-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0000BYD0F

I wouldn't keep them in a tupperware container because the jars should be at about 80°F so that the mycelium can grow. The optimal temperature for mycelium growth is 86°F, but it is warmer inside the jars by a few degrees. A good way to incubate them is to get two same-size containers and a fully submersible aquarium heater. Fill the bottom container with water, place the heater in set at 80°F, and then place the other container (with the inoculated jars and thermometer in it) inside the first container in the water.

As for dunking, some people do dunk it to try and 'cold-shock' the finished cakes into pinning before fruiting. This is not a necessary step, and from what I have seen, it does not help by much. Note that cold-water dunking is only after the jars have fully colonized with mycelium.

During the actual grow phase, 95% to 100% humidity is best and again we want 80°F. The humidity is easiest to do, because the perlite at the bottom of your growing terrarium helps with the humidity.

See here for extra info: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11585613/fpart/1/vc/1 and http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek

engadget

That is exactly what i'm doing.  The kit I ordered was basically two tupperware containers, and a heater as well as a aquarium filter for the growth period that should be turned on for 60 minutes twice a day. I have the heater in the 2nd one and its always around 81 degrees.  If 85 degrees is better then I can raise the temperature. So far out of the 12 jars one was trashed and one isn't showing any growth the rest have a good deal of mycelium growing.  There is a hole on the tupperware for the aquarium.  I'm wondering if I should tape that for now since its open and can introduce contaminants. 

Also once the mycelium has filled up the jar how many days do I leave it before removing it?

Nezidig

What you're doing is fine; I am not sure then why the first two jars are contaminated. If you followed the same procedure for each jar and have had the heaters on 81F you'll be alright. The heaters need to stay at 78-81F for optimal temperature, although they can go as low as 68F and as high as 90F. The jars are a few F higher than the heaters, so 81F is perfect.

As for mycelium growth, you should birth one week after you can pick up the jar and all the sides are covered with mycelium (the sides and the bottom). This gives the mycelium time to consolidate.

Koala

It helps to also sterilize the air of the space you're working in. I use alcohol in a spray bottle.

Vandal_xx

Every once in a while I have one out of a batch that gets contams. Just a part of the hobby if you are like me and dont have a lab to work in. It is a miracle more jars are't ruined. Also, I have heard you can boil the shit outta a contamed jar, then dump it outside and clean with alcohol and you should be able to get out all the GREANIE. I just choose to chuck mine though, good luck
Feel good before dying!!!!!