Bugs in my substrate

Started by Ir8mofo!!!, January 23, 2012, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ir8mofo!!!

I bought a kit from a local head shop and there were little brown bugs in my substrate. What should I do? Are they that big of a deal during the cultivation process?

jimboyia

Unless you want to risk terminal liver & kidney failure you have to throw the whole lot away. I had a similar experience - you just can't trust kits. Best is to follow the Teks on this site and D.I.Y.

Ir8mofo!!!

Just curious, but why would small bugs give me a greater chance of liver and kidney failure? I figure that the soil has bugs in it when getting them from an outside source. I was more concerned with the batches being ruined. Do u know something I don't? If so fill me in and what was your previous experience with this problem? Just curious, this is my first time so anything u got will be helpful in the future. Thanks!

jimboyia

Well, you just don't know for sure what kind of contams those bugs will have brought into your kit. And, being a first timer, you really don't want to take the chance that instead of what you think is a Psilocybe strain ends up being something like Galerina spp etc.  The effects of toxic mushroom poisoning can include death by kidney or liver failure, usually only after several excruciating days. Simply, it ain't worth the risk.

Your grow has to be 100% uncontaminated. Bugs = contamination.

Grow kits are in any event a ripoff. I would strongly recommend you follow the Tek on this site and do it the right way, you'll learn a LOT more and it is fun.

Ir8mofo!!!

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to help! I'll trash em and get started on a new batch right away!