17 days no pins, critique setup please

Started by Rainbow Lotus, February 29, 2012, 07:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow Lotus

Hey everyone,
    I wasn't sure if this should go in PF tek or cultivation, sorry if it's in the wrong place.
I have 21 Penis Envy brf cakes in a clear plastic shotgun FC.  They were innoculated at different times so have been in the FC for different times.  All were birthed a week after full colonization, dunked, and rolled in vermiculite.  The earliest ones were placed in on 2-13 and the latest ones on 2-25.  I have a mister that holds about a cup of water, and I usually use use all the water in it in a day or two.  I don't directly mist, but mist at the top and let it fall down.  After that I fan with the top for over 30 seconds.  I usually mist three times a day and fan five times a day.  They get indirect sunlight for however long the suns up here.  Temp is around 65-70 F. 
FC is I think a 64 quart.  1/4th inch holes two inches apart on all sides including bottom and top.  FC is sitting off the ground on top of another tub as well as four empty jars for airflow.  My analog hygrometer usually reads 90-95%.  I had a problem for about the first week with keeping the humidity up high enough throughout the day(it would drop to 70-80%) but it was fixed when I added more cakes and misted more.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the only thing I can think of is that I only have two inches of perlite in the bottom.  I bought one bag at Walmart but now they don't have it and I can't find it anywhere else.  Should I try cold dunking them?  And if I do, afterwards I don't roll in vermiculite again, correct?
Any advice is very welcome.  I can post pictures if needed. 
Thanks!

k12357

you can try cold shocking them if you feel the need, but I would wait a few more days. i know how anxious it can make you, always waiting, but thats part of this hobby. it will pass and then they seem to grow faster.  usually after colonization they need a week to get ready and then around 2 weeks to fruit. those times are not set in stone. im not sure how much light they are getting from your window but that could be a problem, light is a pinning trigger and also tells them which direction to grow.  if you put a light on them, any bulb is fine and as long as they get 4 hours or so a day should be sufficient.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

Vandal_xx

Dude, temp is too low. They will take a long time to pin. Use a big container half filled with water and an aquarium heater stuck to the bottom. Silicone up the holes on the bottom of your FC and put it in the water. Use a couple of jars or something in the bottom of the water so the FC isn't floating. Make sure you throw a themometer in the FC until you get the temp dialed in.
Feel good before dying!!!!!