Feedback on my fruiting chamber

Started by Koala, March 09, 2012, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koala

I'm posting this because I would like a critique on my fruiting chamber. This is my first time growing.
The fruiting chamber consists of a very large tub with a 2 inch layer of Perlite at the bottom, a dual nozzle air pump and a single nozzle air pump. On the lid, I have cut out two holes for better viewing and placed two panes of glass sealed with silicone in order to keep contamination from getting in through the viewing windows. This also allows for light to get in through the top because the top is solid white and doesn't let light in. I mist as often as needed to keep the humidity at 85% or more. The double nozzle air pump has two hoses that run out of it into the fruiting chamber, one to the bottom right and one to the bottom left. The single nozzle air pump has a hose that runs into the chamber at the top middle of the fruiting chamber. The purpose of the air pumps is to provide adequate air circulation through the chamber without fanning. There are 6 holes at the top on the sides to let air escape from the chamber, 3 on the left and 3 on the right. I sterilize the air around the fruiting chamber 2 or 3 times a day by spraying 91% isopropyl alcohol on the surrounding air (instead of lysol). I'm pretty sure I've achieved positive airflow through the holes in the top and I have small air stones connected to the ends of the air hoses running into the chamber so that the air goes in every direction instead of forming a tunnel of air that doesn't circulate all of the air in the chamber. The chamber is sterile and everything was sterilized before setup, so I shouldn't see any contamination before I have a chance to birth my cakes. The temperature stays at a constant 72 degrees farenheit inside the chamber.

I'd like any advice on possible improvements to reduce risk of contamination and whether or not the air pumps will provide adequate air flow.

k12357

Ive never tried such a set up, and got away from using perlite very quickly when i started.  co2 is heavier than o2 so... I'm not saying it will be an issue but if you have an issue its a place to start. a few holes right above the perlite layer will solve this.  you need to keep your humidity as high as possible 85 is on the verge of low. i seem to remember people talking about a "tropic air" system.  http://www.reptiledirect.com/tropicairhumidifierandairexchangernopump.aspx you can see it here.  very easy to make your own with some ingenuity.  ultimately as long as you have good FAE, and RH, and sterile techniques no matter how you get it you will do well.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

Vandal_xx

Dude, I use a plastic container with perlite and just mist and fan. Not too sure of your setup. Maybe too much for a first attempt?? Good luck though.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

funghetto

Hi Koala
I (like Vandal) use just a transparent plastic box, like a laundry basket with a lid. Also I dnt even use perlite, since I grow a lot and buying perlite all the times can become expensive, therefore i use water, just normal plain tap water. I have drilled several holes (quite a few to be honest) on the plastic box - like k12357 mentioned- and that takes care of FAE. Now when u talking about contamination ur a little wrong, first of all because once u put ur cakes/ cased trays in fruiting conditions it means that the mycelium has completely eaten all the nutrients available and therefore there is no mould that can grow, the sterilisation has to take place before innoculating ur cakes (PF Tek)/ Grain jars, once the colonization has started chances are that u will not get a contamination (moulds colonize faster than mycelium so if u see the withe myc growing ur ok in most cases).
One last thing, umidity should be between 95-99%, ur 85% is way too low. For optimum results you should have umidity between 88-92% when pinning and 95-99% after that.

Hope this explains, if not just get in touch.

Happy tripping!!!!

Maryellemints

Quote from: Vandal_xx on March 13, 2012, 04:25:05 PM
Dude, I use a plastic container with perlite and just mist and fan. Not too sure of your setup. Maybe too much for a first attempt?? Good luck though.

i do basically the same and works great
Mary