Halted Growth

Started by psilocybin warrior, February 28, 2007, 01:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psilocybin warrior

Yeah so the rest of my jars are about 95% complete and for the past week no new growth has occured.  Do you know a reason for this? will it eventually finish?

Baphom3t

I put a jar in that was 75% colonized in my FC and I got it to fruit.
It just takes a bit longer and you risk a less even pinset and contam.
Reasons could be many why its not 100%
but leaving them in a jar after stalled growth could risk a greater chance of contams I.M.O.
Me I would case it and throw it in the FC.

psilocybin warrior

anno

HipsterDoofus

I've always had a few jars that finish up a week or so behind the rest of the group.

Sometimes they just need to breathe. If you have the holes covered with tape or foil this might be the time to take that off.

psilocybin warrior

Yeah there starting to smell kinda bad, is it too late to case them?

HipsterDoofus

HipsterDoofus

Or you could try a bleach dunk.

Clean the cake then do a regular dunk first.

Then dunk in a bleach solution (1.25 tablespoons bleach in a gallon of water) for 30 minutes.

Rinse and move to the fruiting chamber.

psilocybin warrior

how is bleach going to fix things?

psilocybin warrior

yeah i did the bleach dip and it got better for a couple of days now i have some yellow stuff growing but the mycelium is growing over it? any recommendations?

HipsterDoofus

psilocybin warrior

possibly i havnt read anything on myc piss?

Terantula

Hi there,

In my experiance, the most reliable method to get stalled cakes to run again is to flip them over. Yup, upside down for a few days...  Basically, this is what happens...

In the few days that your jar sits there, the moisture settles to the lesser half of the jar... This allows the colonization to proceed on the upper half like normal, but when it gets to the lower half, its more difficult due to lack of breathing space. Flipping the jars over allows the water to migrate harmlesslyt to the other "end" of the jar, and permit real rapid colinization of the remaining food source in record time.

Hope that helps...

Terantula
CEO www.mushroomspider.com

psilocybin warrior

yeah ive tried that and it did not help

psilocybin warrior

ok yeah im pretty sure it was piss and now everything is going good

Terantula

if your getting a lot of myc.pee... then there are generally held to be two causes.

1) an over abundance in water prior to sterilization. In other words, too much water in your mix.

OR, more likely...

2) an over production of waste from overheating and over colinization. The warmer it is, they tend to make more wastes.

The only solution is to really flip/invert the jars.

Glad to see though your not panicing any more :)