Pressure cookers

Started by Lopez, January 04, 2007, 12:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lopez

Hi everyone

I`ve been confusing myself over pressure cookers, as I`m going to buy my first one. I wouldn`t want to buy anything so crappy,that I`ll just barely manage with it,on the other hand, is it worth paying that about 200$`s for an All-American? And if I spend that much on a PC, then I start to think why not spend a little more on a Pressure Sterilizer...? What`s the real, bottom-line deal with these things, if I intend to use them only at home and small-scale?

If I get a regular kitchen PC, is there some trouble with the cooling or ventile or something, as I read somewhere that it might contaminate everything you`ve just sterilized while it cools down and sucks air in? Or something like that... :huh:

ok, thanks everyone in advance.

TommyTutone

No need to go overboard. I have a Presto aluminum 6 quart pressure cooker. It works fine. It holds 4 half pint jars at a crack. Cost was around $40 new.

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pressure-Cooker-Use

This link goes into Pressure cooker types and how to use. Just follow the step by step and you'll be fine.

Indian

Is a hot plate sufficient to heat the pressure cooker? I have difficulty obtaining access to a range.

psilocybin warrior

You know instead of spending any money you might as well just boil them in a pot of water.....its free easy and works perfect, ive steralized plenty of jars with no problems.

anno

Quote from: Indian on February 21, 2007, 10:02:55 AM
Is a hot plate sufficient to heat the pressure cooker?

Depends on the wattage of the plate. And also on the size of the pressure cooker, the bigger the pressure cooker, the more Watt you will need.

I would aim at a 2000W hot plate.

HipsterDoofus

A hot plate is sufficient to heat a pressure cooker if the hot plate can boil a pot of water. You will need high heat at first to heat up and boil the water to bring up the pressure. Then you will turn the heat down low to maintain the pressure. You have to watch the pressure and adjust the heat as the pressure rises and falls. With experience you will learn the right balance. Never leave the pressure cooker unattended. Be present at all times. Do not move the pressure cooker while it has pressure inside it. Do not use water, ice or cold air to try to speed up the cool down time. Just let it cool naturally. When the pressure is down move the pressure cooker to your clean area. As the pressure cooker cools down from zero pressure to cold it can suck in air. You want to have it in a clean air area. You could cover with a clean cloth as a filter.

If you're going to grow seriously it's worth the money to get a high quality high capacity pressure cooker like an all american. If you're only at home growing small scale then a less expensive smaller unit will serve you just fine. They all do the same thing. At high pressure water boils at a higher temperature. It's the higher temperature that sterilizes your jars and substrate.

Caution: the pressure cooker will reflect and concentrate heat below it. Be sure to have your hot plate on a fireproof, heat resistant and heat insulative surface. Allow plenty of room around the hot plate and pressure cooker on all sides. Be present at all times. Do not leave the hot plate and pressure cooker unattended. Read and follow all the instructions for using the hot plate and for using the pressure cooker.

A hot plate is a fire hazard and a pressure cooker is an explosive hazard.

There are safety features and redundancies but do not depend on them.