Psilocybe and the synapse

Started by stinkbuttdog, March 22, 2007, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkbuttdog

I am currently reading over this article: http://www.shroomery.org/6300/The-Mushroom-and-the-Synapse

All I can really say is wow. Read the article until you get to the point where the author is describing how psilocybin fills the gap between adjacent synapses. This means that cells in our brains which don't normally communicate, communicate. I find this to be very interesting. I've read in medical journals that heavy tranquilizers like Thorazine can actually shut down specific neuro-pathways. Now, if psilocybin completes all kinds of normally nonexistent pathways, could it not reverse the damage caused by the tranquilizers? In theory it looks pretty sound to me. This could be another medical application for these mushrooms. Of course this would need to be tested and studied and studied on those of us who take Thorazine daily (which would most likely be in the wards).

CerpinTaxt

I believe that the link my exist in between them
psilocin being a partial serotonin receptor antagonist it doesn't really make the "new" pathways
more mimics ones that may not be used
i do not think it can reverse the damage just like when a pill head drops to many bombs and fries their cache of serotonin...some things can never be replenished

but then again with our governments moral stick up the ass attitude about researching and documenting new and more dedicated tests in human trials of certain drugs we may never know until the world can shed the fear of its own creator that lives right up inside of everyones head.

i look forward to a day when we can actually look into these things without the warped moral conviction of others. but that day seems well down the tunnel.

very interesting stuff though!