jars to trays?

Started by burntone10, September 06, 2012, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burntone10

Ok so its my first time cultivating and i bought some pre steralized jars to work with ive seen people use trays and jars both but my question is which is better and also if i have the jars am i able to crumble them into trays after they colonize with mycelium without effecting the growth in the fruiting stage. Any advice or knowlege is apreciated peace and good vibe everyone :)

darksyde

burntone10

Casings in trays will generally perform better. There are alot of variables though.
Whats your goal? How big of a yield do you want?

burntone10

I mean its my first time so i dont really have a set expectation of what my yields will be but as high as possible i have amazon alacabanzi and cambodian or colombian i cant remember right now but im just trying to do what ever works best

darksyde

the PF tek works, but in my opinion, its a lot of work for minimal results.
misting, fanning, dunkin & rollin.. after 3-4 small flushes, the cakes are spent and its back to the start.

I would personally suggest you invest in a pressure cooker if you have the means.
Working with grains is a much better use of time and resources.
They colonize faster.  They offer the ability to transfer g2g.
You can case them, or spawn to bulk subs..

I can help you with whichever way you want or need to grow, but I believe grains are the "best" place to start   :mellow:

burntone10

Ok thanks man i appreciate the info andwill look into the grains. Now am i able to crumble up my jars that have fully colonized and put it in trays

darksyde

yep that works..  crumble em up into a 3 inch or so deep, small aluminum loaf pan, put a 1/4 inch or so casing layer on, give em a good misting, cover with foil, and give em 2 or 3 days to push through the casing, give em another decent misting, then into the FC

burntone10

Awesome man thanks alot what do u know ab the orrisa india strain i had 2 jars inoculated with that but they both got mold but none of my other jars did and i did everything the same

darksyde

doubtful you did everything right with the others and just had bad luck with those, so don't blame yourself..
I never get contams unless the syringe itself has contams from the vendor, and it does happen. You can try again just to be sure, but if another couple jars get contams as well, you know its vendor error.
sometimes a polite email explaining all the contams you saw on the slide while viewing under your microscope, will get you a free replacement  :huh:

the orissa strain itself generally produces good size fruits with above average yield, but is hit & miss as far as potency.. again, there are a lot of variables at work in the process.

burntone10

Now with the grains what shouldi use and where is the best place to get them and also what expierience with the manure substrate bags do u have

darksyde

I use organic rye berries, organic wheat berries, millet, and have used organic brown rice, and oat groats too. 
All these can be purchased in health food stores, or in bulk online, if you cant find em close to home.

Gonna need a pressure cooker (PC) to work with grains though.  They need to be soaked, rinsed, and simmered before they are PC'd, but we can get into all that when the time comes.

I have never used manure bags. I've fallen in love with monotubs for their ease of use, and huge yields.
Once you have fully colonized grain, you spawn to pasteurized hpoo and straw in a tub. Tub takes 4-7 days to colonize, then just set it near a window to get some indirect sunlight.. No lighting, humidifiers, perlite, or hygrometers to worry about..

burntone10

The jars i have are the brf jars am i able to colonize the 50/50 straw and hpoo bags with these jars or do they have to be grain in order to work

darksyde

Ive never heard of that being done, and would have to do some research myself to confidently give an answer.  My gut says it shouldnt be a problem though.   

Honestly, Ive never used the pf tek.  I came across so many posts about the benefits of grains when I was 1st starting out, I just decided to spend a little more up front for the PC and work from there. 

What are these bags you're talking about?  Something pre-made from a website?

burntone10

Yea it was like four bucks for a 1 lb 50/50 mix of hpoo and straw presteralized

burntone10

darksyde