BRF cakes to Grain

Started by Cacophonyhead, September 10, 2012, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cacophonyhead

I have had a few BRF cakes stall out with only 50 - 75% mycilian growth.
I am convinced they will no longer grow new mycilian due to some of the jars appear to be trying to fruit from within.
I tried fruiting a few in a Shotgun terrarium after a 24 hour dunk with no luck because they began to look bruised and then over night were contaminated with a green mold which I kind of expected.

I was wondering with the remainder of the stalled BRF jars, is it possible I would get results if I cut the good mycilian from the cakes and put them in 1L jars containing a wheat kernal or rye berries substrate like you would with a mycilian sample cut from a mature mushroom grown in agar?

Thanks.

darksyde

When did you noc the jars?
How long have the jars been stalled?
How did you go about your dunking process?
Just trying to figure out where your contam issues came from..

As far as salvaging whats left, it is possible to transfer the live myc from your jars, but working with grains will require a few extra steps, and a clean environment to work in

Cacophonyhead

The jars were noc aug.06
Stall started about the week of aug.20
I removed foil for gas exchange and turned jars upside down.
This helped bring some jars from 50 to 75%.
The jars have been stalled again for about 2 weeks.
Some of the thick middle areas of the mycil appear to have a mushroom shape growing.
When I dunked a few, it was in a pot of distilled water for 24 hours.

Good to know I can transfer good mycil to grain.
I dont have a flow hood, but a transparent rubbermaid with arm holes.
I use a lot of rubbing alcohol on every tool. Flame sterilize the needle.
Wear hospital outbreak gown with surgical mask and vinyl gloves.
Used a PC too. I thought I was pretty damn cautious, but shit happens I guess.

What grains and method do you feel are best for a noob?

darksyde

Did you lysol your lab/workspace?
I dont even bother with a glovebox.. Never used a flowhood. I have a spare bedroom converted to a clean lab.. HEPA filter runs 24/7 and I spray the room heavily with lysol and wait about 5 mins, then its time to work
I always flame sterilize and cool with alcohol soaked cotton balls.

Sounds like your noc procedure is fine.. Troubles arose during/after the dunk.

Ive heard of people injecting a cc or 2 of distilled water into pf jars with some success.. They could just be drying out.

I sent you a PM with the info so let me know what you think and we can go from there

MoGrow

Quote from: darksyde on September 11, 2012, 10:05:37 AM
Did you lysol your lab/workspace?
I dont even bother with a glovebox.. Never used a flowhood. I have a spare bedroom converted to a clean lab.. HEPA filter runs 24/7 and I spray the room heavily with lysol and wait about 5 mins, then its time to work
I always flame sterilize and cool with alcohol soaked cotton balls.

Sounds like your noc procedure is fine.. Troubles arose during/after the dunk.

Ive heard of people injecting a cc or 2 of distilled water into pf jars with some success.. They could just be drying out.

I sent you a PM with the info so let me know what you think and we can go from there
Boo your PM's i was looking for info on going brf - WBS (well grain) and the post got cut short.  oh the humanity
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

Cacophonyhead

LOL, then just ask; we're on here just about every day ^_^

MoGrow

Quote from: Cacophonyhead on December 07, 2012, 04:29:54 PM
LOL, then just ask; we're on here just about every day ^_^

I know bro i was just talking shit

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

My bad..  This forum is just so dead compared to what it used to be and I sometimes forget the importance of sharing info for all to see since there just isnt that many people left in here to take advantage of it..  Usually people come here, send me pm's to get the info they need, and then never log in again..  I feel so cheap and used lol   :mellow:

MoGrow

My Alcohol Lamp