Pinning/Fruiting

Started by Quintessence, March 27, 2007, 01:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintessence

I'm using the PF Tek and have a few jars innoculating and 1 that has been birthed and in the Terrarium  for 5 days, no pins yet. This is my first time btw.

The spores that I used were really old, like a 6 year old print that a friend gave me a while back and because of this, a lot of my jars only innoculated in 1 of the holes. I have just watched a shroom growing movie on youTube (I forget what it was called) but it mentioned something to the effect that the cakes will not fruit unless 2 or more Mycelium  spots combine.

Is this right and if so, what can I do about it? I thought maybe transfer some Mycelium  from one jar to another, but that is risky for contams.

A bit confused what to do...
Thanks

psilocybin warrior

UMM im not sure if the 6 year old print has anything to do with it but thats pretty damn old, i learned that pinning is better inside the jars but i have yet to let any pin in a jar.  Is their enough humidity? whats the temp of your terrarium? how much light are u giving them? are u changing the air regularly? post up a little more information and i kno you will get the help you need to succeed from this forum. also BTW if u are really interested in growing you should buy spores from a reputable site.

Quintessence

I ordered some spores too, but they must have been duds because none of the jars I innoc'ed did anyhing. The 6 year old print I almost threw away, but then I thought what the heck, and nocced up a few jars with it anyway, not expecting anything. Strangely, the old spores worked and the new ones were duds.

Anyway, here is my setup:

I have a small 5 watt flouro on a 12 hour timer set up in the cupboard, but for the time being they are 'on display' and are just getting natural sunlight / ambient incandecant light.

I'm using a fish tank for my fruiting chamber, with Perlite . Humidity is 95-100% and temps hover between 72 - 75 deg. I fan 2-3 times a day. I used pint jars and dunked for 24 hours in the fridge and Double End  cased. The jars were innoculated at 84 deg and kept in the dark. I left them for about 5 days after full colinisation before birthing.

They have only been in the fruiting chamber for 5 days, so I'm not too worried that they are taking too long, yet. I was just a bit worried that I only had one innoculation point.

The cakes got fuzzy after about 24 hours and are a brilliant white colour, no bruising  or metabolites, so they look healthy.

I've stopped misting them for now, as the humidity levels seem fine. Is this ok? I assume at some point I'll need to mist some more cos the fanning must remove a lot of moisture, right?

Baphom3t

"I was just a bit worried that I only had one innoculation point."

If the Myc colonized 100% then you are fine.

I don't do pf tek but, I'd go out on a limb and say keep misting until you see Hyphal knots once you see Hyphal knots let off of the misting until you have pins.
Then resume misting.Remember not to mist the cakes directly :)

You should probably up your FAE to around 4-5 times a day.

hope that helps :)
Baph

psilocybin warrior

so far sounds alright, to help pinning is heat, light, and fresh air, are you sure that your spores were duds? did u keep everything steril?

Quintessence

Not sure if I'm allowed to say were I got my spores from?

Anyway, I made my syringes at the same time and exactly the same way and I think I was pretty sterile. I innoculated 6 jars with the old spores and 6 with the 'duds'. I left 3 control jars with no spores. All the jars with old spores germinated and none of the 'duds' germinated, but they had no contams either. It's at least a month later and those jars still have nothing growing in them, so I think I can rule out contams. I had one wet spot mold growing in one of the jars, which I chucked. Otherwise, all good.

I've heard different theories about fanning, some reckon only once a day whilst other say up to 5x a day, so I've kind of shot for the middle ground and done it 2-3x per day. Any more ideas? My temp is usually 74, will raising it help induce pinning at all?

Thanks for all the help.

psilocybin warrior

yeah a higher temp will promote pinning, i usually fan mine every 12 hours

psilocybin warrior

also have u tried a bleach dip, water dunk, or a cold shock?

Quintessence

cool, I'll jack the temp up to around 78.

I did do a water dunk in the fridge for 24 hours after birthing and used a mild bleach solution, 300:1

Quintessence

I just spotted my first pin! I know everybody says to be patient, but how can you be? lol.

Looks like I have a few Hyphal Knots elsewhere to, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It's been stinking hot here recently, so the temp in the FC has risen to 78-80, from 74'ish. Do you think this could be why I have pins or is this to hot? I don't really have any way of cooling though.

What should I do with my fanning/misting now?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll try and post some pics of my setup soon, but my macro doesn't seem to want to focus to well.

psilocybin warrior

i usually fan 2/3 times a day, its good that u have pins now you will be suprised how fast they will go from there.  depends on the misting what are you using as a fruiting chamber?