Lost on where to start

Started by MushroomHead, April 09, 2007, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushroomHead

:huh:
ok so...I've been wanting to cultivate mushrooms, but I have no idea where to start.  I've tracked down spores, and I've seen 'kits' that I can purchase that will let me grow mushrooms, but it seems too easy.  Now I know this is a time consuming hobby, and it can't be as easy as the kits on ebay say it is.

Can someone help me on what path I need to take on getting started? (what I need besides spores).

Is it as complicated as it seems when I read about it? 

Someone please help!!

Thanks in advance

Myc

I started with the site www.fungifun.org and used the method labeled "PF Tek for simple minds".  I figured I'd qualify as a simple mind.  Good luck on your treasure hunt obtaining some of the ingredients--that was half the fun for me.  Prepare to be very patient, deliberate, and to follow instructions carefully.  This is a really meticulous hobby (at least that was my approach).  By being patient and careful you'll avoid many of the contamination pitfalls and substrate to water content issues and have a successful first time project.......like mine thus far!  I have found it easier to search the archives on this and other sites with my questions since all of us new guys have the exact same questions over and over.  In other words....if I have a question it's probably already been asked and answered in the archives.
In purchasing ready made kits, be careful who you deal with.  I understand that there are a number of scammers out there and some whose sterilization practices are lacking.  I have leaned toward the sponsors of this and other sites rather than trying someone new just yet.
Hope this helps and above all....have fun.

anno

Quote from: MushroomHead on April 09, 2007, 06:29:09 AM
Is it as complicated as it seems when I read about it? 

It is relatively complex and includes several steps. It isn't necessarily complicated though.

Read http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek