N00b here... looking for a mentor :/

Started by steadyeyes, October 14, 2012, 07:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadyeyes

Hello,

I am brand new...  use three dots as most of my punctuation to determine a pause (...) and I am easily moldable ;)

I have read a pretty good post on TEK, I am still very new to the idea and would love to do it right the first time. I grew some herbal remedies previous to this house and I no longer have the ventilation capacity I used to. I also heard this is a ton of fun.

I have nothing yet. I have some comparable shopping lists of items I may require and a step by step... but in my line of work I actually create training manuals and so none of the "step by step"'s are really very clear.

instead of copying and pasting everything I have read, I will supply the link (with a small change in the www [just replace it]) that seems to be the best or most well-rounded so far.

here it is : (double-u double-u double-u).shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10981397

does anyone have any thoughts? I would love to get all supplies before I start.

Does anyone want to be my mentor?

darksyde

Took a gander at the tek you were looking at and I have a few ideas for ya.

As I tell everyone thats interested in using the pf tek, its a proven way to get results, but if you want more bang for your buck and have the means of investing a little more up front, I would suggest getting a pressure cooker and using grains.

Doing bulk grows in monotubs is much cheaper than any externally humidified setup. No pumps, humidifiers, lights, timers, hygrometers, or perlite is needed.  Just a tub with a few holes, lined with a trash bag and set near a window for indirect sunlight is all you need.

If you're interested, I would suggest starting out by getting some spores from:
www.microsporetech.com/ or
www.ralphstersspores.com/ or
www.thehawkseye.com/

Order a 16 qt - 23 qt (PC) pressure cooker from Amazon.  $60 - $75
Pick up a dozen pint or qt size canning jars $7, a couple 17 qt -24 qt tubs $5/ea from walmart.

If you have access to horse poo, thats your best bet.  It needs to be aged, dried poo though. Fresh poo is way to acidic and would need extra steps taken to work.  If poo isnt readily available, worm castings work great too.

There are a lot of options for grains, but my 1st choice is organic rye berries. I can send you links for cheap online sites for both castings and grains if you dont have them locally.

This should get you started and keep you busy for a while.  Let me know if you have any questions

steadyeyes

got my order :)

plus i got an extra syringe of a great strain.

my question today is: what type of environment do the jars need to be in to spawn the cakes? is light required during that part?

darksyde

Just out of curiosity, what strains did you get?

You let the jars colonize in the dark.  Ideal temperature range between 70f and 83f degrees.
Once they are fully colonized, you spawn to bulk and allow them to colonize the bulk sub, or put them in your terrarium and you can introduce them to light right away.

There were several options listed in the tek you were reading.. Which method were you planning to use?

steadyeyes

I got Hawaiian, Cambodian, Lipa Yai and Tasmanian

these are my ingredients. I am using the first method shown.
Vermiculite
organic dark rye flour
10 x 8 oz wide mouth mason jars
two tubs in an enclosed area. tubs are each about 17"x 9" and about 8" deep. The area is about 3 cubic feet.
small personal humidifier

I am currently steam sterilizing my jars. I am planning on letting them cool overnight, and injecting the spores tomorrow morning.