soon Soon SOon SOOn SOON

Started by MoGrow, November 24, 2012, 08:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoGrow

Hi again Fingifriends, Im getting close to time to birth my first grow, as such i went out early this morning and spent a few hours hunting down the last of my supplies just wanted to make sure its all ok.

This is the Only Perlite i could find in town.

I've read posts of people using Miracle Gro Perlite but this stuff seems really small.

Will this work just fine? or do i need to look for something else? Prolly the same size everyone else has, i prolly just cant judge size from pics.

These are the bulbs i got there basic 6500K CFL's.

As soon as this PFTEK batch fruits im going to G2G/WBS. Im assuming this stuff is ok to use? Its gonna be a while before i start WBS but this stuff was on sale for something like .89$ a lb. so i went ahead and bought 3 bags.

One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

Cacophonyhead

That is the same perlite I used, and it worked fine. Wear a dust mask when you pour it out to soak, I learned a dusty it was the hard way :angry:
A 6500k cfl should be ok because they dont really give of heat and it is deep in the blue spectrum.
I never used WBS.
For your SGFC are you using a fan, or manually removing the lid for FAE?
Keep us posted! :ph34r:

MoGrow

Quote from: Cacophonyhead on November 24, 2012, 09:33:11 AM
For your SGFC are you using a fan, or manually removing the lid for FAE?

Heh funny you asked that i was just about to post some pics of my chaimber to see if my perlite depth was ok or not. Ill be fanning manually till next friday then ill be adding a fan.

heres the pics.

the Perlite is at 4" but theres only 3.5 inches from the top of the cake to the lid. its a 51qt tub i can give length x width dimensions if needed/it helps.
Other than the depth im ready to fruit woowoo.

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

You're on your way..

Your perlite doesnt need to be quite that deep for that size tub.  I used around a 2 - 2.5 inch depth for a 106 qt tub, so you would be fine at around 2 inches.. 

Your lighting is fine..  Anything over 3500k is suggested, but Ive heard of people getting pins using a Christmas light strand.. 

I havent read all you've posted, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that using WBS or any other grains, will require a PC.  A steam bath wont provide the pressure and heat to kill off any contams that could be at the core of the grain.

Just curious what you meant by using a fan for your FC..  I used to run similar setups, but I purchased a TropicAire (TA) reptile humidifier and a fish pump.  That gives you humid air pumping in, instead of dry air from a fan, so your RH stays up and you're getting automatic FAE..  looks like this:

Cacophonyhead

Ya, I second thought my question of the fan too considering you would have to mist frequently. I think if you're going to switch to monotubs after this short SGFC stint; you should totally save your money and just manually fan and mist your FC. -_-
Nice setup by the way Darksyde. :ph34r:

MoGrow

Quote from: darksyde on November 24, 2012, 12:53:10 PMI havent read all you've posted, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that using WBS or any other grains, will require a PC.  A steam bath wont provide the pressure and heat to kill off any contams that could be at the core of the grain.

Yea this is why i started with pftek. Well that and the fact everyone says to go pftek for your first grow. i started a little late in the year and with xmas comming up and all i dont have the money to drop into a pressure cooker.... were done with our xmas spending so now i can get one.. then ill be using the WBS (if this type is ok to use) i only bought it as a nagometer to constantly remind me i need to get PC. (it was on sale).
I bought "lets grow mushrooms" and watched it 5 - 6 times so im pretty confident in my adventures. Just keep reminding myself to keep up my sterility.

My Alcohol Lamp

Cacophonyhead

Are you in the states or canuck? All the Zellers are closing down and must get rid of everything; so PCs are super cheap there... Otherwise boxing week sales are just around the corner. ^_^

MoGrow

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

That WBS will work fine..  Amazon is where I got my PC..  23 qt for $75 I think. Anything 16 qt or larger works fine though..

I actually always tell people to skip the PF tek and start with grains.. Just a much better overall food source, and lends itself well to many different growing teks..

Check out this vid on youtube.. Its kinda slow, but really informative..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=er1i3M-w51E

MoGrow

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

Thats the same one I have and its great..  you can fit 7 qt jars upright and 2 more laying on top at a time..  Thats a lot of grain at once!  You wont regret the purchase, and its great for canning (I make home made salsa too)   :ph34r:

Cacophonyhead

Cool!
I look forward to seeing some pics of your future grows! :mellow:
How are the BRF's coming along? ^_^

MoGrow

Birthed sitting in the FC now! Ill post some pin pr0n soon as they pop. -_-

My Alcohol Lamp

Combatkarl1627

That black tube container is a humidifier ? What's something like that cost?

Cacophonyhead

Its a reptile humidifier; just check out your local pet store. You may find in the future it was a cost that could have been avoided. If you want a setup that requires little manual work, you should consider going monotub.  :ph34r:

Combatkarl1627

Ya I have some spawn I'm working on now ... I thought with monotub there is no need for misting fanning ect . Or is there a better more successful setup when going mono..?

Cacophonyhead

Thats what I meant by little manual work... With the mono you just have to drill a few holes in a transparent rubbermaid type bin and tape in a couple trash bags inside. It's the only FC I use now  ^_^

Combatkarl1627

Your talking about the couple larger holes on top then the evenly spaced wholes at the bottom to keep constant FAE right?  I had a few cakes of spawn that I monotubbed, ill post in a few days !