MoGrow Goes Mono.

Started by MoGrow, December 05, 2012, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoGrow

Welp my 23qt pressure cooker arrived this morning i have 5lbs of WBS soaking for 24 hours i put it in the water at 3:00pm est im sooo ready. Ive got a question on this however, i have 10 brf cakes in consolidation stage and am using one of them in a SAB to inoc my grain jars. do i have to wait the full 7 days as if i were birthing to a SGFC? or can i use a cake thats been 100% for 4 days? im using doc's wbs tek and spawning using Damion5050's verm+coir tek. Any suggestions or tips on my mono tubs? maybe you can tell me where i put my holes? iircc its 2L+2H+2L+2H ? or maybe it was 2L+1H+2L+1H?

TIA for any advice.

PS I'm running 2 monotubs for my first spawn attempt. Think this will produce a bit of fruit.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

Its just a matter of time now, and yes, 2 good tubs should provide a few nice meals   :wacko:

Quotedo i have to wait the full 7 days as if i were birthing to a SGFC?

No, as long as its fully colonized you are good to go..

Quoteim using doc's wbs tek and spawning using Damion5050's verm+coir tek

Its a nice way to get your feet wet..  The verm & coir are both non-nutritive though, so while they will hold all the moisture you need for fruiting, you will be relying on the WBS entirely for food.. Next run you should spawn the WBS to castings and or poo and you will see a dramatic difference in output!

QuoteAny suggestions or tips on my mono tubs? maybe you can tell me where i put my holes?

STERILE  STERILE  STERILE!!!   Nothing hurts more than going through all that time and effort in preparing that much bulk, only to lose it all to contams..  Its the one downside to growing bulk tubs because you can lose so much sub at once..
As for your holes, figure out how deep your sub is gonna be.. I use translucent tubs for lighting purposes so I just line the inside with a trash bag, but I fill the sub up to bag level, and drill a  1/8th inch hole about an inch or so above the top of the sub level, on each corner of the tub.. Just those 4 small holes and a small fan blowing indirectly in your room will provide plenty of FAE..  Here is a pic for reference

MoGrow

Wow really ? that's it ? no huge holes with polyfil? and whats the casting sub ratio of what ingredients ? like how much spawn to how much castings / whateverelse you mix? or can you direct me to a tek ?  i haven't come across anything for castings.. is it the same ratio as any like say hpoo tek? no fanning monos ? i know you mist em but no fanning ? other than the indirect fan running in the room ????

Thx again.

P.S. Pop pop popity pop pop pins showed up today on my BRF cakes there tiny but ill post pics when i get home from work i noticed them right before i left for work. when i get home they will be 9 hours larger =)
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

darksyde

Thats all I use and I seem to have decent results every once in a while..  :mellow:

You can do the large holes with polyfill since you already purchased it, but the longer Ive been doing this, the more ways Ive found to cut costs, save time, and get the same or better results.  I just try to keep it as simple as possible for myself, but there are 100 ways to skin a cat as they say so everyone needs to figure out what they're comfortable with and what works for them..

As for a ratio, Im sure there are plenty of teks at shroomery and info buried in forum posts here, but I just trust my instincts.. I usually go about 4 or 5:1  poo or castings:colonized grains, but thats just an eyeball guess to be honest. A half pint jar could colonize 1000 pounds eventually so its not really a crucial measurement, but more about how fast you want that bulk tub colonized. 
My goal is to create a sub layer 3-4 inches deep regardless of the size of my tub.. I fill the tub where I want it before pasteurizing and weigh it out so I can just use that weight for that size tub on all future grows.

I mist castings since they have the consistency of dirt and tend to lose moisture a little faster, but I never mist horse poo cuz it holds moisture so well..  I do however put about a cup of verm per pound of poo or castings in the mix before I pasteurize for added retention..  I dont fan em either.. I have a small 10" desktop fan set up about 10 feet away blowing in the direction of my tubs and it seems to do the trick.. Ive read teks that suggest using an oscillating fan on low set up in the room, but I dont have one and didnt feel like spending the extra cash.

Glad to hear you're having success.  Think my 1st attempt only netted me about 5 dried grams and I wasted the whole syringe..  It was a total train wreck and I felt pretty defeated, but I ran into a few cool dudes in here and the rest is history.  Definitely post up some pics..  I love checkin out other peoples grows..   :ph34r: