Temp is fluctuating... Is that ok?

Started by PenisEnvy525, December 07, 2012, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenisEnvy525

Hey, so my first sign of growth looked like it was hauling ass but it was a contam (green mold and lots of fluff when we opened it up). Amazon gone. For the past 2 days the Albino Penis Envy is showing three spots of growth, two new as of last night. They are not growing very quickly at all (biggest is the size of a nickel) and I was wondering if my temperature might be interfering with steady growth. It was fine for a while at 84 degrees. Lately it hasn't been as warm in my part of the country and so the house it colder naturally. The temp is hard to get above 80 degrees, fluctuating from 79.5 to 81. IF this is the temperature right now and it has to stay like it (hopefully that temp is ok) will I fruit at 70?

Thanks. Noob here. People seem to be very helpful here though!
-Most sports take one ball. Motocross takes two.

-  \m/ PURE FUCKING METAL! \m/

MoGrow

QuoteIm not sure what part of the country you live in .. or what the 3 strains you got are. let me know. but if you keep your house at 69 - 80 dont use the tit incubator (the 2 tubs and the heater) while they will colonize slightly faster at 80+ the warmer you keep your jars the higher the risk of contams taking over. I colonized thoes 20 jars at 70F - 75F i got 100% contam free jars. Alot of info on incubating cubes says its an outdated method and does more harm then good for new growers.

I answered that for you in the pm i sent you like a week ago.
but to reitterate no it wont... cooler temps slow colonization and lowers risk of contams but anything over i think its 67F is fine dont quote me on that # it may be lower Dark may be able to nail the low temp no growth #
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

MoGrow

Oh and i might want to mention that at the temps i listed it took my jars just at 4 weeks to 100%

My Alcohol Lamp

Cacophonyhead

85°F is ideal. My jars colonize between 70-76°F with success so you'll be ok. Where do you stick your jars and how long has it been? Patience is key with this hobby. You could consider sticking them in a box on top of your fridge; that area is always a little above your room temp  :mellow:

MoGrow

taken from

Paul Stamets and J. S. Chilton: The Mushroom Cultivator
If you want more information (and there is plenty!), go buy the book

Psilocybe cubensis Growth Parameters

Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90%.
Substrate Temperature: 84 - 86°F / 28.8 - 30°C. Thermal death limits have been established at 106°F / 41.1°C.
Duration: 10-14 days.
CO2: 5000 - 10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.

Type of Casing: After fully run, cover with the standard casing whose preparations described in Chapter VIII. Layer to a depth of 1-2 inches. The casing should be balanced to an initial pH of 6.8 - 7.2.

Post Casing/Prepinning:
Relative Humidity: 90 %.
Substrate Temperature: 84 - 86°F / 28.8 - 30°C.
Duration of Case Run: 5-10 days.
CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.
Light: Incubation in total darkness.

Primordia Formation:
Relative Humidity: 95-100%.
Air Temperature: 74 - 78°F / 23.3 - 25.5°C.
Duration: 6-10 days.
CO2: less than 5000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 1 -3 per hour. (For practical purposes, fanning a terrarium 2-3 times a day is sufficient)
Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength. (See Chapters IV and IX).

Cropping:
Relative Humidity: 85-92%. (For cakes: 95-100% )
Air Temperature: 74-78°F / 23.3 - 25.5°C.
CO2:less than 5000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 1 -3 per hour. (For practical purposes, fanning a terrarium 2-3 times a day is sufficient)
Flushing Pattern: Every 5-8 days.
Harvest Stage: When the cap becomes convex and soon after the partial veil ruptures.
Light: Indirect natural or same as above.

Moisture Content of Mushrooms: 92% water; 8% dry matter.

While the growth slows to ~1% putting your LC (Mycelium water) in the fridge still produces growth. As you can see from the above heat is the only thing to worry about.

My Alcohol Lamp

PenisEnvy525

Very good to know. I managed to get it up to 82 and it rose to 83 over the past couple hours. Thank you for the info. MoGrow, I just opened your pm. Thanks for all the useful tips and info. Much obliged.

Well, they seem to be doing well and I think contam is out of the picture really. The only reason I got a contam for Amazon was my own fault accidentally poking an unsterilized pen through the tape after inoculation. The environment was so, so so clean. I scrubbed the kitchen down, every surface, like 3 times and then lysoled the shit out of it... But I have told you that before.

APE has grown over a mm on each side in the past 4 hours. Seems to be moving. Ban just showed his growth in plain sight now.

MoGrow

Quote from: PenisEnvy525 on December 07, 2012, 08:27:34 PM

I scrubbed the kitchen down, every surface, like 3 times and then lysoled the shit out of it...

lol awesome.

Keep us updated on your grow.

^_^

My Alcohol Lamp

PenisEnvy525

For sure. Will take a few pics in the next day or two after they really start blooming. They are both definitely going to plan though!