O2 and CO2

Started by PenisEnvy525, December 20, 2012, 11:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenisEnvy525

Hey, I a here every week asking a different question about mycelium growth. My question now is this: Penis Envy has slowed way down and Ban Hua has actually passed him now. I am using premade jars and I inoculated them around the end of last month... The jars are both 2/3 - 3/4 full of white goodness but with the PE slowing down so much I was wondering if I should do an air exchange for him so he has O2 and not so much build up of the CO2. I am just wondering if I should take that risk of opening the jar and getting some contam in there. PE seems to only have grown maybe a couple mm in the last couple days.

One factor I am unsure if it is directly effecting the growth rate... The mycelium is getting very strong and thick in both jars, but especially PE. Maybe he is growing in more than down right now? Either way, they are both looking healthy and all, but it is starting to drag with that damn jar. Seriously, Ban was 2-3 days behind PE and he has filled more of the jar as of this morning.

Maybe a pointless noob question, but I appreciate your advice on whether or not to get that CO2 out of there or not. Thanks.
-Most sports take one ball. Motocross takes two.

-  \m/ PURE FUCKING METAL! \m/

PenisEnvy525

PS -- I read in a post, I think by MoGrow, to add water if it is stalling, but the inside seems to have plenty of H2O built up as condensation on the sides (but not drowning by any means) in large drops. Just throwing it out there...

MoGrow

Nah wasent me. but you never wanna open a PFTEK jar.. no matter what... if you introduce o2 youll induce pinning.. you dont want this.. during myc growth you want GE not FAE. if the PE is still moving, no matter how slow, its not stalled.. have to have patience. your growing from MS im asuming.

If i remember correctly your using a growkit yea?
No way to tell if the moisture content is on par because you didnt make it yourself, one of the points i brought up about isolating a contam source in another post about kits.

Id give it time if its still forming myc.
But whatever happens you dont wanna open that jar, ive heard of injecting water into jars but you would want to do that through one of the initial inoc holes, ive never entertained the idea as that dry verm layer is a filter and IDK but seems kinda iffy shoving a syringe through that into the center of a cake.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

PenisEnvy525

Thanks man. Yeah, it is from a CaliGrow. I was a little worried about opening it and thought it is not a good idea, but I have heard so many people talking about air exchange (on their home made kits jars) that I didn't know. Thanks for the advice.

It seems to be growing very, very, very slowly now. Again, 2mm, at best, in 2-3 days. It is still growing though. So I will just leave them to do their thing and see what happens. I don't want to pin them yet!!!

Yeah, I thought dipping a needle into the middle again was too risky of an idea for me. Ah, the learning process of growing fungus perfectly... Gotta love it.

So how are your grows doing dude?

MoGrow

Pretty good got 24gm cracker dry off 7 cakes.. ive got 10 more  pinning there first flush now.

Have a couple side projects going on agar few MS, few clones.
Im about to jar up 10 qts of WBS to toss in the PC so i can do G2G for 2 monos.

GL and keep us updated on things.

My Alcohol Lamp

PenisEnvy525

Nice man. Sounds like pretty decent yield... I can only assume. Good job bro.

I just cleaned the bathroom crystal clean and going to inoculate the last of the jars soon. Out of the 9 left, 2 were contams. One with green mold and one I can't really tell if it is or not so I just assume take the safe route. and say fuck it.

Speaking of those contams, that means 1/4 of them were in total (3 total out of 12). I hope others don't start sprouting something nasty after inoculation. So I will have 9 jars total in about a month and a half, give or take a week.

Next time, even though the jars are convenient, fast, and work very well, I want to control the substrate so I will be taking your advice next time.

PS -- Blasting some Dark Tranquility - Am I One? Good times. \m/

PenisEnvy525

An update on my jar growths which I inoculated a couple days ago: I believe the Amazon syringe was contaminated. Every jar that had those spores turned to white fuzz in 36 hours. Last time it turned into green mold in 72 so I just yanked them so as to not expose the other jars. Oh well, I will use Ralphers or whatever that place is called next time to get my supplies.

Other than that, the boys are doing well so far. The two with lots of growth are going slow now - almost seems like they has stopped but they haven't, just going slow -- will be about a week and a half I hope before they are ready and the others - if they go similarly to the previous - will be about a month before they are ready to fruit.

Anyhoo, how's it going, community of FungiFun?

PenisEnvy525

So the two first jars seemed to completely stall... What I did was lysol the small area the incubator is in, walked away for 3-4 min to let the lysol do its thing and fall so it didn't get into the jars, and opened them up at about a 60 degree angle downwards while keeping them covered by the top of the tub. I waved the cap to circulate the CO2 out and let it drop for about 20 seconds or so, maybe more in total (each). While the jars were each open I look at the growth. It looks very solid white and almost a bit like goo. I wasn't even going to think about touching it to see its consistency, but it looks great from what I can tell. Oh, and the smell was like portabella mushrooms or something  so I assume that is a good sign of the growth I want, but if not please tell me what I should be smelling other than bitter mushroom smell. Anyway, I closed them up after I did my thing and two days later the growth is substantial. Looks like these jars just might make. The others are looking great so far as well...

Now I am going to go watch some happy little cloud get painted. No mistakes, just happy little accidents!

MoGrow

HAHA i love that guy... his  :ph34r: makes me smile every time.

My Alcohol Lamp

Javedsameena

great post.Never knew this, thanks for letting me know.

PenisEnvy525

Thanks man. Happy someone else is benefiting from the question.

MoGrow, so the oldest jars have still never reached to the bottom all the way. In fact, the Ban and PE are getting a very white layer across the outside at the bottom... I think it looks like that might mean it is too dry. Any suggestions? Are those jars lost causes? The PE that is newest is actually the furthest along, covering 95% of the outside... Give it some more time to get really strong and yippie.

MoGrow

Quote from: PenisEnvy525 on January 18, 2013, 10:41:25 AM
Thanks man. Happy someone else is benefiting from the question.

MoGrow, so the oldest jars have still never reached to the bottom all the way. In fact, the Ban and PE are getting a very white layer across the outside at the bottom... I think it looks like that might mean it is too dry. Any suggestions? Are those jars lost causes? The PE that is newest is actually the furthest along, covering 95% of the outside... Give it some more time to get really strong and yippie.

Would need to see a pic of it to determine. but when my jars stall out i flip em upside down, if/when you do this you have to leave em untouched till there ready to birth. When there flipped there at high risk of contams if you move em as youve stirred up the dry top layer.. Its not the best thing to do but it is the only thing you can do with a stalled jar, i have 2 upside down now. they got too compacted i think because i used WBSF I ground at the house, and water retention isnt the same as BRF. If you can when you get a chance post a pic of the one you think is dry, IME if you follow the tek 2:1:1 they come out perfect every time. GL and keep us posted.

My Alcohol Lamp

Sheppard

good idea ,thank you for your sharing.

Rs Gold|wow gold