Question about changing to a Poly Fiber Lid.

Started by deadzone16, May 03, 2007, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadzone16

Quick question. I have approx. 6 jars currently inoculated and sitting in an incubator at around 75-80F. They are fitted with a layer of tin foil and a metal lid on top as a secondary sealer. Over the course of the past few weeks I noticed little or questionable growth of mycelium on the cakes I was wondering if I could just remove both lids (metal and tin foil) and fit it with a polyfiber lid to help the exchange of CO2. If normal sterilizing conditions are met (i.e. Spray Lysol, wear gloves, wash lids prior to the exchange....) will the chance of contamination to the cakes be worth the effort to try and improve the current CO2 exchange of the jars? Any advice?

anno

>They are fitted with a layer of tin foil and a metal lid on top as a secondary sealer.

The foil underneath the metal lid? Very unconventional, and obviously not particularly good....

I wouldn't replace everything in the open air, I think the risk would be quite big to get contamination in.

How about removing the metal lid and putting a loose layer of aluminum foil on instead?