I am worried... Should I be?

Started by PenisEnvy525, January 26, 2013, 08:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenisEnvy525

Hey, so it took for freakin ever to grow my mycelium but I am now fruiting them as of 3 days ago because I was noticing a very strong white growth with brown in the center raising from out of the cake inside the jar. I assume it is my first growth because it looks like a white bulge and almost stem liike and with a head. I am worried though; I took them out and none of them filled the jars 100% (best was about 90-95). My logic in what I did next was this: Hell, they aren't going to finish growing in the jar (stalled) because of air content, moisture, crap premade jars, whatever the cause so I took them out and cut off the excess mix from the bottom and about 1" of mycelium after that to get it to a strong growth point in hopes there would be no contams. What I noticed the next day is the top of them (except for one, which is actually a very small cake because of having to cut) is bluing up (normal) but before they blued they turned a dirty cream color. I have heard this is a contamination. I just checked them again and the cream color is not really brownish anymore but bluing from bruising. ALSO, one cake had fairly weak growth and now actually looking beautiful. It is solid white and no fuzz or discoloration. I know I am going to get majorly scolded for what I have done, but they were going to be toss outs otherwise so might as well try and see what happens. If they are contams then time to start over next month.

I would have a pic or two for you, but my brother's phone is not here right now and I don't know where the USB cord is for my camera. Just FYI, when I cut the cakes I put fresh cut side down on the foil over percilite and the tops of solid growth on top. The pin is about the size of a penny or nickel and very, very white and sticking out about 1.4" now.

Long rant done. I just want to know what your thoughts are here because this was such a risky ordeal. Thank you!!!
-Most sports take one ball. Motocross takes two.

-  \m/ PURE FUCKING METAL! \m/

MoGrow

Ive cut cakes and they fruit fine no problems its no different than shaking a grain jar, it will recover. If your 100% colonized it wont contam from cutting.

gratz on the pin, wish i could see pic  :wacko: ! GL and keep us posted.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

PenisEnvy525

Good to know. Thank you fellow metal head! I just need to keep a close eye on them. And when I cut there was obviously a ton of substrate that made it look like it colonized on the outside and nothing inside but after looking closer there are thick white veins running through the material. I turned cut end down and the part that was the top of the jar up because it is covered covered so I thought if a contam was floating around it will have a much harder time getting under the cake.

Thanks. I will put a pic up when able. I cannot wait!!!! I am just having a hard time keeping the humidity up in the chamber. I have it in warm water in another container with 3-4" of moist perlite, but I can only get the humidity up to 85-87%... How is this going to affect growth? And is that cream color something to worry about? It is still there, just most of it is covered in bluish tint now. This is what I am most worried about. Thanks again, MoGrow!
-Most sports take one ball. Motocross takes two.

-  \m/ PURE FUCKING METAL! \m/