How long is too long for jars to colonize?

Started by zebdead, January 29, 2013, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zebdead

So 3 strains which are fast/decent colonizers, but using the brown rice/verm mixture they are taking what seems to be a long time to colonize. I keep it at 81-83degrees and it has been 4 weeks now and they are all showing signs of life, and some are thriving, but it seems like most of them have either slowed down or are just not progressing much.
1. Am I keeping it too warm?
2. Did I possibly not inject enough spores?
3. Does checking on them daily really make that much of a difference?

MoGrow

1. Am I keeping it too warm?
2. Did I possibly not inject enough spores?
3. Does checking on them daily really make that much of a difference?o

1. i think so . tho others will argue this point i let mine colonize at room temp. so long as its over 65F
2. This will never be the case less you use 0 spores.
3. No, you just dont wanna shft the verm layer on top its your barrier against contams. IME checking jars dosent affect there actually growth just increases your chance for contams,

Pics are helpful, but from what i read just be patient. they can take 3 weeks to start showing growth and can take up to 2 month to fully colonize . while these are at the long end of the time frames its still possible to take this long.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

Cacophonyhead

Though some strains are considered faster colonizers than others, it also depends on your solution.
You asked if you injected enough spores so I asume this is a MSI...
Did you noc some BRF, or grains? Not a lot of solution is needed for either. 1cc is generally pretty good per jar for either of the two I mentioned.
I have read a lot of ppl saying 90*F incubation and 80*F birthing. Your temps are ok though; I incubate at 80*F and Birth at 70*F everytime with success. Checking on them every day shouldn't make much of a difference, however, this hobby takes patience and you really dont need to check more than every 3-5 days. I have had a BRF take up to 8 weeks to colonize 100% before.
Some pics would also be useful...
Keep us posted! :mellow:

Cacophonyhead

MoGrow made a good point with #3. If you are using BRF, you dont want to move that shit around too much. That verm layer is a barrier against contam. In 8 weeks if there is for sure a stall, you could inject 1cc of distilled/ sterilized H2O, or turn the jar upside down. I have done the upside down trick, but not the extra H2O. Usually when a cake does a complete stall for me, I transfer to grains. :mellow:

MoGrow

Quote from: Cacophonyhead on January 29, 2013, 09:30:48 PM
MoGrow made a good point with #3. If you are using BRF, you dont want to move that shit around too much. That verm layer is a barrier against contam. In 8 weeks if there is for sure a stall, you could inject 1cc of distilled/ sterilized H2O, or turn the jar upside down. I have done the upside down trick, but not the extra H2O. Usually when a cake does a complete stall for me, I transfer to grains. :mellow:

I flipped 2 cakes last week and they took off... 100% in no time. im a firm believer in flipping jars. just make sure once you do it you leave it alone. have it sitting somewhere you can see the bottom of the jar without picking it up. I feel 9theres no increased chance of contam with this method as the first 80-90% of the jar is already colonized and a spore isnt going to get to the uncolonized part to germinate, better safe than sorry.

GL and keep us posted. 

pics pics pics.

My Alcohol Lamp

zebdead

thanks guys! I suppose I will leave the temp. alone and might flip jars if it seems to really stall. I had a feeling it was going well, but that I was just getting a little impatient.

MoGrow

Quote from: zebdead on January 29, 2013, 11:24:06 PM
thanks guys! I suppose I will leave the temp. alone and might flip jars if it seems to really stall. I had a feeling it was going well, but that I was just getting a little impatient.

After having this discussion ive decided im always gonna flip my jars at 80ish% since i just use jars to test isos now i can afford to play with em. Ill post some pis in a bit.

My Alcohol Lamp