Harvesting & spore printing

Started by propsyko, January 30, 2013, 01:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

propsyko

Hello guys, after a few months of desperate encouragement to my lovely cakes, I finally am at my 2nd flush, witch I can describe as a winner for my first essay.
A few questions arouse to me these past days :

1. Casing substrate is perlite, cakes are, 5 whole grain brown rice & 3 whole grain rye.
I have taken the aluminum foil on witch my cakes were resting, since that, an incredible mycelium network developed, and fruiting as well. Since no cake is contaminated, I'm not worrying about the mycelium network between each cake. But was wondering if any of you have some experience in this particular domain of cake separation or not.
Last, some mushrooms grew in the perlite... hum any advice. (They look fine, in good shape)

2. IMPORTANT : Since they are mature, and I want to make some spores to send out to friends, could I have some advice on the best time to harvest them, for consumption, and/or printing. What variables do I have to take into account ?

Thank you for your answers & support ! Namaste  ^_^

for more pics and info, please ask !

Cacophonyhead

I pick when the veil just starts to break. For prints, I wait till the veil completely breaks and cut the stipe as cloae to the cap as possible. I couldnt enlarge your image, but I'd say you better pick em now.
Om mani padme hum :mellow:

MoGrow

ohh yea there all ready to hit some foil for printing, all but the 2 in the middle the rest are perfect, like head said, cut the stipe as close to the gills as you can and lay em on foil, make sure there covered with a dish or a bowl or something to keep contams from blowing in, i use a plastic sterilite shoebox to take prints in and it works great.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

propsyko

Hey guys ! thanks for your tips ^_^
Couldn't wait for your answers, so harvested few hours later !
prints went perfect ! YEAH sending back to fsre since they're cool people doin good work !
and good good good taste  :wacko: yaya but didn't take a lot to try out, 3 big stems. A grower friend told me he takes about 3g... What do you think ?
They felt lot less potent than the ones I used to take in parties, which I don't have infos on growing conditions.
Last question and I go : no suggestions on the mushies growing in the perlite ?

Love

om om om om

MoGrow

Quote from: propsyko on February 02, 2013, 01:10:32 PM
Hey guys ! thanks for your tips ^_^
Couldn't wait for your answers, so harvested few hours later !
prints went perfect ! YEAH sending back to fsre since they're cool people doin good work !
and good good good taste  :wacko: yaya but didn't take a lot to try out, 3 big stems. A grower friend told me he takes about 3g... What do you think ?
They felt lot less potent than the ones I used to take in parties, which I don't have infos on growing conditions.
Last question and I go : no suggestions on the mushies growing in the perlite ?

Love

om om om om

Gratz on the grow man, yea 3gms is an avg good dose, domesticated shrooms are a little different than wild, when we grow domesticated shrooms we get a variatable crapshoot of genetic traits, some times we get potent genetics some times we dont, sometimes we get good size some times there puny, the only way to over come this is by isolating down to a monoculture on agar, cloning will get you pretty close to consistent results but a monoculture will be exactly the same every time.

As far as the perlite you want your cakes on foil because the mycelium wastes energy trying to colonize it. some people say it will water log your cakes (I dont believe this) i have some cakes in a SGFC ill post pics later that are double cased and i keep the verm saturated.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp